short starter (something with about 1/4" nub, and ~ 5-6" section.

Don't worry about buying pre-fix patches just buy some thick ticking at a local fabric shop. Bring a machine's caliper and measure "snug thickness" of cotton ticking. Cut strips 1 1/4" side by 12"-24" long. Drop the powder charge in the barrel, lube the area of the patch strip and place over muzzle (sprue up). Use short "nhb" started to drive ball just below mjzzle. Use patch knife to cut strip flush. It will make a perfectly-centered patched ball. Drive it 6" down, then seat the ball on top of the powder .

Buy a yard of 100% cotton flannel ( light solid color). Cut in 1" side strips, then cut them into 1" x 1" squares to use as cleaning patches .

Buy a ball puller.

make a "T-bar" to aid in ball pulling, about 5-6" long, 1/2" diameter rod. Drill/ tap in the center, across the minor axis for a bolt that will fit the female-threaded section of your rifle ramrod (#8 or #10). Use it to screw into one end of your ramrod. The other end for your ball puller. Screw the threaded "Tee bar" into the rifle ramrod. Screw the ball pulled into the ball ( the Tee-bar makes the screwing easy). Then you CAN use the "Tee bar" into a fork of a tree. This will allow you to Gannon the rifle to pull the ball out when you are alone. Comes in very handy.

Good luck. Keep it simple. There are many useless gadgets out for sale.

Non-vinegar Windex is an excellent bore cleaner. I use a 1-1-1 ratio of rubbing alcohol - Murphy's Oil Soap - over the counter hydrogen peroxide.

If shooting at a range, or target shooting, while the bore with a damp alcohol/ lube / Windex / dilute engine anti-freeze after each shot, then follow with a dry cotton patch. This maintains a cinstant bore condition for accuracy, and snuff out left over embers to make loading safer. I do this EVERY shot.

I wipe metalwork down ( including the bore) with Marvel Mystery Oil when done.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."