Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I always welcome new cartridges, even though I often don't get excited about them. I suppose some of the concern for a prospective buyer is whether or not the cartridge will endure and be supported. The 17 Mach 2 was a real winner, but for some reason or another is no longer chambered by anyone other than Savage as far as I know. If this one turns out to be a winner, will int continue to see support?

I'm not that experience with guns..

But the Mach 2 failed because it did everything 22LR was doing, at higher velocity, but more cost. Faster, but otherwise similar energy. Heck, as much as I love 17HMR, for the same reason 22WMR is going to remain more popular, it mostly does the same thing. And 22 wmr is just slightly cheaper to make the difference in popularity. I still love my Savage 93R17, fantastic shooter. But ... if I had to pick one over the other, 22WMR is gonna win.

Also past 100y, both HMR and HM2 fall off steeply for energy, and they are small bullets. So any long-range varmint hunting, 22LR will beat 17HM2. The 17HMR beats the smaller 22WMR for energy up to 150? 200y? But loses to larger 22WMR bullets. And again, Cost per round.

This new round has the same problem - 22LR is here, established, mature, and is always going to be cheaper for what is the same basic performance metrics. IT MIGHT see better luck in serious competition shooting. But in lower levels 22LR is gonna be king there simply due to cost and availability.

H&R Discussion Discord: https://discord.gg/4MqJrMvZZK