Originally Posted by fgold767
All thoughts appreciated..

Do either of you climb rock?

If so, I just helped a friend who runs a climbing school in Taos by giving some hand crack climbing instruction. Loads of nice rock around there, though you have to go up out of the valley to get to it. There isn't a lot bolted or even named routes, and not many other climbers most of the year.

Anyway here is a very nice overhanging crack that starts in a creek and runs for 600 yards before you have to traverse to another crack above it, that goes another 600 almost to a local summit. Both cracks will hold cams the entire way, so safe but your belay will need to be a ways off so bring plenty of rope. But you can stand in the creek and grab it to ascend.

Only 2 miles off the road too, on private land but getting a permit is just phone call and a $5 "donation".

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

If you don't climb my only suggestion is to go to White Sands then hit a bar in Alamogordo. Get drunk and drive (NM tradition) up to Cloudcroft. The contrast in scenery will make you think you were abducted by aliens and they took you to another planet (also a NM tradition).