A few nights ago at about 1:00 a.m. my dog was really raising a ruckus. I got up without turning on any lights and made sure my wife didn't either. Then someone is shining a flashlight in through my windows. I could see someone on the porch and then that person knocked. I asked in a very loud voice who are you. I could see a car in the driveway but not enough to make out what kind or anything else. Then he announces he's a deputy of our county and that he was investigating a 911 hang up call from this location. Made from a land line. My first thought was someone kin to me died. We don't have a land line in the house and I told him that and my shop phone went dead the day before from the water company digging into the line. I opened the door then. He then said there was a call made from here again. I offered to let him check the shop phone himself and mentioned again it was dead. I told him the only way it could have been mine was by the line shorting out somewhere. He seemed skeptical. After asking me several questions he left.

The phone tech guy came by a couple of days later and I told him the story. He said the line most likely did short out and that it happens all the time. I called the sheriff's office to let them know all of this and she told me they get allot of these where the line shorts out. I've been thinking about all of this since and it makes me uneasy the way the officer handled himself. I suppose he was looking at things that there could be a crime in progress and someone made the call but got cut short. Allot of reasons and thoughts but here I am seeing someone shine a light in my house and how do I know it's not some whack job intent on shooting us. Most of my interactions with LEOs have always been positive and I have never been arrested to have a criminal record. It also makes me aware of how a knock in the night might not be what we might think.