Home
Posted By: Jim1611 Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
A few nights ago at about 1:00 a.m. my dog was really raising a ruckus. I got up without turning on any lights and made sure my wife didn't either. Then someone is shining a flashlight in through my windows. I could see someone on the porch and then that person knocked. I asked in a very loud voice who are you. I could see a car in the driveway but not enough to make out what kind or anything else. Then he announces he's a deputy of our county and that he was investigating a 911 hang up call from this location. Made from a land line. My first thought was someone kin to me died. We don't have a land line in the house and I told him that and my shop phone went dead the day before from the water company digging into the line. I opened the door then. He then said there was a call made from here again. I offered to let him check the shop phone himself and mentioned again it was dead. I told him the only way it could have been mine was by the line shorting out somewhere. He seemed skeptical. After asking me several questions he left.

The phone tech guy came by a couple of days later and I told him the story. He said the line most likely did short out and that it happens all the time. I called the sheriff's office to let them know all of this and she told me they get allot of these where the line shorts out. I've been thinking about all of this since and it makes me uneasy the way the officer handled himself. I suppose he was looking at things that there could be a crime in progress and someone made the call but got cut short. Allot of reasons and thoughts but here I am seeing someone shine a light in my house and how do I know it's not some whack job intent on shooting us. Most of my interactions with LEOs have always been positive and I have never been arrested to have a criminal record. It also makes me aware of how a knock in the night might not be what we might think.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
Handled that way could have gotten the deputy killed, and consequently, you killed.

I've become hard of hearing lately, and understanding cops screaming orders and obscenities as fast as they can would be garbled gobbledygook to me.
At least the officer was professional and you handled things calmly. They’re supposed to be skeptical.
Posted By: mikieb Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
After you have enough encounters with LEO, you learn to not go to the door.... Keep the door locked.... and talk to them thru the window. And, stand back from the window when you do...
Posted By: gunzo Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Handled that way could have gotten the deputy killed, and consequently, you killed.

I've become hard of hearing lately, and understanding cops screaming orders and obscenities as fast as they can would be garbled gobbledygook to me.

Ain't this the truth.
Guess 911 hang ups don’t get investigated anymore.

The audacity of the deputy to knock is absolutely absurd.
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Where did anyone say that?
Originally Posted by Jim1611

Where did anyone say that?

How would you rather the responding deputy have handled it? Thumbs in his pockets with a howdy doody grin on his face, his one and only round his his breast pocket?
Posted By: DMc Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
How does a short in a telephone line create a 911 call?
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
Never answer the door for LEO and NEVER talk to the cops, never.

You have NO obligation to assist them in their investigation and no obligation to talk to them.

They are not your friend and they are NOT the good guys.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
If LE gets a 9-1-1 call from a residence they are obligated to investigate. If you don't answer the door then how would the officer outside know that there wasn't someone injured inside and unable to answer but needed immediate medical attention? Or maybe there was some sort of violent attack of some sort going on and upon his arrival, the attacker was holding the people inside quiet by force? If the officer just shrugs and walks away and then later it is discovered someone in that house died from a medical emergency or had been murdered how does that reflect on the LE officer and agency? If you want to escalate the situation just yell "go away" from inside and refuse to answer the door. Knowing all the possibilities that could be happening how would YOU handle such a situation?
Originally Posted by MOGC
If LE gets a 9-1-1 call from a residence they are obligated to investigate. If you don't answer the door then how would the officer outside know that there wasn't someone injured inside and unable to answer but needed immediate medical attention? Or maybe there was some sort of violent attack of some sort going on and upon his arrival, the attacker was holding the people inside quiet by force? If the officer just shrugs and walks away and then later it is discovered someone in that house died from a medical emergency or had been murdered how does that reflect on the LE officer and agency? If you want to escalate the situation just yell "go away" from inside and refuse to answer the door. Knowing all the possibilities that could be happening how would YOU handle such a situation?

LE is not responsible for your safety... They came, they looked, nothing suspicious was going on, they drive away.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
Originally Posted by Firecontrolman
At least the officer was professional and you handled things calmly. They’re supposed to be skeptical.
How does the deputy know that your wife isn't tied up in a back room and you were beating her ?? My guess is you two are not on a first name basis. I had a guy who refused to let me in the house and he wouldn't bring his wife to the door and talk to me. As it turned out, he had her in the basement beating her. Their son was home and he answered the door but he didn't say a thing about what was going on. His dad must of really had him intimidated.

kwg
Posted By: marktheshark Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
If LE gets a 9-1-1 call from a residence they are obligated to investigate. If you don't answer the door then how would the officer outside know that there wasn't someone injured inside and unable to answer but needed immediate medical attention? Or maybe there was some sort of violent attack of some sort going on and upon his arrival, the attacker was holding the people inside quiet by force? If the officer just shrugs and walks away and then later it is discovered someone in that house died from a medical emergency or had been murdered how does that reflect on the LE officer and agency?

Beat me to it.....I am not in the habit of being overly cooperative with LEOs beyond what is legally required but after I verify that it actually is a cop at my door at O dark thirty especially, I am going to speak to the officer to avoid any escalation of the response. In the OPs scenario it would probably be something spoken through the still locked screen door along the lines of "No one here knowingly called 911, there is no emergency, its just the wife and I here, I can have her to come to the door as well if you REQUIRE, but please remain outside.
Not your/my problem.

Never answer the door and never talk to the police, ever.
Posted By: Stophel Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
This, of course, is the problem. "How would the police know??? They don't know you're innocent!" Whether it's a screwed up phone line, or somebody calling to "swat" you, or whatever, people ARE being killed by police who "don't know you're innocent". I don't know a solution.
Posted By: WMR Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
It’s surprising that nobody got killed. Someone shining a light in the windows makes this a “game on” situation. If the car is not identifiable, then there’s no way to know it is a LEO. Some stranger saying so doesn’t mean much. The OP knew there was no 911 call, so that explanation sounds like BS. Calling 911 himself to verify would be the correct action, but who thinks clearly when awakened by the dogs to find a situation like this?
Posted By: Stophel Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
How would you rather the responding deputy have handled it? Thumbs in his pockets with a howdy doody grin on his face, his one and only round his his breast pocket?

That wouldn't be such a bad idea.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23

Good reason for Leo to get a welfare check order and bust in a front door?
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
Originally Posted by marktheshark
If LE gets a 9-1-1 call from a residence they are obligated to investigate. If you don't answer the door then how would the officer outside know that there wasn't someone injured inside and unable to answer but needed immediate medical attention? Or maybe there was some sort of violent attack of some sort going on and upon his arrival, the attacker was holding the people inside quiet by force? If the officer just shrugs and walks away and then later it is discovered someone in that house died from a medical emergency or had been murdered how does that reflect on the LE officer and agency?

Beat me to it.....I am not in the habit of being overly cooperative with LEOs beyond what is legally required but after I verify that it actually is a cop at my door at O dark thirty especially, I am going to speak to the officer to avoid any escalation of the response. In the OPs scenario it would probably be something spoken through the still locked screen door along the lines of "No one here knowingly called 911, there is no emergency, its just the wife and I here, I can have her to come to the door as well if you REQUIRE, but please remain outside.

Damned if they do,
Fùcked if they don't!

Why in thee hell any(good)one wants to become a cop, I don't understand.
Used to be, they were hated by crooks, feared by many.

Today, even those who call for law and order, hate the Fuzz.

How does a cop properly respond to that call.
Looking around on the down low is dangerous and could pass off a resident.
Any knock is a problem.
Insisting on entering and searching is a No-Go.
If he doesn't search, and Jeffy Dahmer is cutting up his winter meat supply in the
kitchen, he didn't do his job.

Folks like to use pension concerns as a joke for cops.
Heck, that pension might be all the job has going for if.
Originally Posted by jaguartx

I doubt they would need a court order. This probably falls under the care taking exception.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by jaguartx

I doubt they would need a court order. This probably falls under the care taking exception.

Yep.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
Good idea to call 911 yourself and verify there's an officer(s) at your door.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23

One might think a call to dispatch asking why they had an officer on your porch would sort matters in a safe manner. Real cop or not.
Posted By: AKCHOPPER Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Good idea to call 911 yourself and verify there's an officer(s) at your door.

For sure.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
At least he didn't shoot your dog.
Originally Posted by steve4102
Not your/my problem.

Never answer the door and never talk to the police, ever.

Please, answer the question. How would you respond to such a situation if you were the officer dispatched there to a 9-1-1 call and nobody in the house answered the door or someone inside yelled "Go away, nobody called you", what do you now do?
In this situation,

Call 911 immediately. First to verify if LEO is infact at your door. If they aren't you're gonna want 911 on the phone anyway. Calmly and firmly inform the "officer" outside you are calling 911 to verify him/her. That will back LEO down half a notch from high alert as they will respect what you're doing. I personally don't know a cop that would escalate beyond that if youre on the phone with a dispatcher. Once verified do the right thing and work it out with them.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
Originally Posted by DMc
How does a short in a telephone line create a 911 call?

The telephone switching equipment sees the multiple shorts across the line as dial pulses, as from a rotary dial phone. I seem to recall that before I retired my company was planning to disable the dial pulse receivers since no one used or even made those phones any more.

Early in my career, the situation was reversed, not all of the equipment could handle touchtones, and when someone wanted touchtone service, their line location often had to be moved to provide access. Since only company-provided phones were legal then, that switch was made in coordination with a service call to install the new phone. Those early TT phones wouldn’t work if the line Tip and Ring pair was reversed either, which happened occasionally during cable work, or when people tried to DIY an extension (also illegal). It was common for people to acquire a touchtone telephone somehow and then find it didn’t work because either the line was flipped or their office equipment wasn’t TT capable.

Things certainly have changed!
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by Firecontrolman
How does the deputy know that your wife isn't tied up in a back room and you were beating her ?? My guess is you two are not on a first name basis. I had a guy who refused to let me in the house and he wouldn't bring his wife to the door and talk to me. As it turned out, he had her in the basement beating her. Their son was home and he answered the door but he didn't say a thing about what was going on. His dad must of really had him intimidated.

kwg

Couldn't get a shot?
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
This happens a lot with people that still have land lines
Posted By: deflave Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
Sounds like the OP lives in butt-fugk nowheresville.
Posted By: cs2blue Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
My agency handles on average 125, 911 hang ups/ misdials in a two week period. We send two Deputies on every call. We never know what we re going to find when we arrive.
Originally Posted by deflave

You could call it that. Not in town at all and the one close isn't much but I like rural life.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
I would have slipped out the back door 870 12ga. pump in hand then eased around to the front of the house.
Posted By: Mike70560 Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
Around five years ago, we had a similar experience three times over about a one year period.

All three incidents occurred in the middle of the night. All three arrived with their lights on. They all three knocked on the door.

The first one was a male LEO. He was pretty cool, said they received a 911 call from this address. Told him we did not even have a phone in the house. He made sure both my wife and I were good, never came in the house, all good.

The second one was a female deputy. She was beating on my door, yelling and screaming. I never let her in the house. We told her we did not have a phone. She finally left. She was a disgrace to the uniform.

The third time was much like the first, he was the most professional of the three.

We had a DSL line for internet. After the third time we had it disconnected and it never happened again.
It was mentioned knowing the local LEOs. There was a time when I did. Now there is such a turn around in the departments that's not easy to do. We have gotten some good people though. The officer that came to my door seemed like a squared away fellow. I understand his concern and not taking for granted something bad was not going on. I think he took a risk by shining the light in my window. Doing it here was a safe bet for him since I'd never shoot anyone without cause and for me that's not threatening those of us in our home so there is no cause. He made no effort to come inside my house either. I would have let him had he asked and even offered to take him to the shop so he could hear for himself there was no dial tone on the phone.

I didn't think of calling 911 to verify him being here. If there's a next time I will. I did call the sheriff's office to explain to the lady that took my call what happened and asked her to let the officer know I had called, I don't want him or any of them getting the idea my home and family are where criminals reside or even people that would pull a prank on them by calling 911 and hanging up. I have lived my life to police myself and live within the law so my interactions with LEO are kept to a minimum.

I don't bash cops. If I can I assist them in their job and any of them that know me understand that.
Posted By: Plumdog Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
Paranoia will destroya.
Hell, we had a party lately (mostly old grey-haired retireds) and the sheriff showed up saying a 911 call came from here. It was my buddies cell phone, he butt-dialed it; and he is retired LEO. No dogs were harmed.
It is good to have lights outside that are motion activated, or at least switched on the inside of the door.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
A few nights ago at about 1:00 a.m. my dog was really raising a ruckus. I got up without turning on any lights and made sure my wife didn't either. Then someone is shining a flashlight in through my windows. I could see someone on the porch and then that person knocked. I asked in a very loud voice who are you. I could see a car in the driveway but not enough to make out what kind or anything else. Then he announces he's a deputy of our county and that he was investigating a 911 hang up call from this location. Made from a land line. My first thought was someone kin to me died. We don't have a land line in the house and I told him that and my shop phone went dead the day before from the water company digging into the line. I opened the door then. He then said there was a call made from here again. I offered to let him check the shop phone himself and mentioned again it was dead. I told him the only way it could have been mine was by the line shorting out somewhere. He seemed skeptical. After asking me several questions he left.

The phone tech guy came by a couple of days later and I told him the story. He said the line most likely did short out and that it happens all the time. I called the sheriff's office to let them know all of this and she told me they get allot of these where the line shorts out. I've been thinking about all of this since and it makes me uneasy the way the officer handled himself. I suppose he was looking at things that there could be a crime in progress and someone made the call but got cut short. Allot of reasons and thoughts but here I am seeing someone shine a light in my house and how do I know it's not some whack job intent on shooting us. Most of my interactions with LEOs have always been positive and I have never been arrested to have a criminal record. It also makes me aware of how a knock in the night might not be what we might think.

That's why you don't shoot through the door before they try to knock it down. I would have also made him light up the side of his car so I could see the reflective "Sheriff" emblem before opening the door, anyone can say "I'm from the sheriff's department".
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
I don't WANT to know any of our local PD folks.
Several have been busted, lately, for drug offenses. Fox in the henhouse, so to speak.
The NMSP or the local Sheriff's folks - I wouldn't mind knowing.
All the LEO I know are retired, now.

You could call it that. Not in town at all and the one close isn't much but I like rural life.

Nothing wrong with it. Just saying that your local LE is going to be commensurate.

That cop is a fugk up.
What makes it many times worse is that home invasion robbery teams routinely identify themselves as police to get you to open the door.
Posted By: justin10mm Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
Plenty videos of cops at wrong houses shooting people through windows when they came to the door with a gun.

Also trendy these days for goblins to claim they're the police or service workers to get you to open the door so 3 or 4 of them can charge in.

Nothing wrong with it. Just saying that your local LE is going to be commensurate.

That cop is a fugk up.

So you're eluding to urban/city LE is what, "better" than rural LE?

[bleep] that Gomer. Got a couple pretty big towns nearby and one bigger city up the road a bit that are plumb full of "fugk up" cops I wouldn't turn my blind side to under any circumstances.

The SO that handles our "nowheresville" county are all highly professional men and women with a good boss, good training, and a very solid respect for and of the community.
They are an integral part of our school system as in resource officers and sporting events.
As far as the rest of their job, there's a mutual understanding that they have our backs and we have theirs. Been around too many first responder situations with them to think otherwise.

[bleep] your broad brush dude.
Posted By: victoro Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
[quote=DMc]How does a short in a telephone line create a 911 call?[/quote

If your line is shorted out you can't get dial tone so you can't call anybody.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
What makes it many times worse is that home invasion robbery teams routinely identify themselves as police to get you to open the door.
Originally Posted by justin10mm
Plenty videos of cops at wrong houses shooting people through windows when they came to the door with a gun.

Also trendy these days for goblins to claim they're the police or service workers to get you to open the door so 3 or 4 of them can charge in.

Never answer the door and Never talk to cops.
Originally Posted by Feral_American

[bleep] that Gomer. Got a couple pretty big towns nearby and one bigger city up the road a bit that are plumb full of "fugk up" cops I wouldn't turn my blind side to under any circumstances.

The SO that handles our "nowheresville" county are all highly professional men and women with a good boss, good training, and a very solid respect for and of the community.
They are an integral part of our school system as in resource officers and sporting events.
As far as the rest of their job, there's a mutual understanding that they have our backs and we have theirs. Been around too many first responder situations with them to think otherwise.

In my experience yes.

And it's not even close.

In my experience yes.

And it's not even close.

I would say your "experience" isn't all that much then.
Any LEO responding to a 9-1-1 hangup must be cautious in their approach.
It only makes sense to step into a lighted area, if there is one, to be identified as a LEO.

As a citizen, I have absolutely NO outside lighting at night.
You knock on my door at night, you're in the dark.....and I'm not turning on any lights! Period!
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
It only makes sense to step into a lighted area, if there is one, to be identified as a LEO.

You knock on my door at night, you're in the dark.....and I'm not turning on any lights! Period!
Maybe turn their flashing lights on before they go looking into windows with a flashlight.

As they say, you can’t fix stupid.
Posted By: BuckHaggard Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
The cop handled it just the way he was supposed to handle it, and being skeptical is a requirement.
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard
The cop handled it just the way he was supposed to handle it, and being skeptical is a requirement.
Right, walking around in the middle of the night on private property,peering into windows with a flashlight making sure the homeowner has no clue as to who the invader is, is the best way to handle it. Gotchya

And if the homeowner is holding a firearm, start shooting, dog first.
Steve4102 doesn't have any answers and no idea how to handle the situation.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23

Yep…trolling, trolling, trolling…..
I know exactly how I would handle it.

Do not answer the door and do not talk to cops, ever.

Protect my wife, kids and dog, from these POS.
This is what happens when you answer the door. Never answer the door.

I think that in this situation, someone IS going to talk to the cop. Better you than your next of kin. Still a very dangerous time for all involved. Lucky nobody was killed.
Anyone who approaches one of my doors at night gets lit up by motion sensor LED lights. I know the exact range to the door so he/she/it is going to be brightly illuminated while I communicate with them from behind a locked door in total darkness via intercom. We're 20-something miles from the nearest cop shop, so we handle our own security while we're talking to the 911 dispatcher.
Never talk to the cops, ever

Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I would have slipped out the back door 870 12ga. pump in hand then eased around to the front of the house.

You're a dummy then

911 is a great system but it's not prefect
I'll bet it saves 10 of thousands of lifes every year. The OP handled this about right. The deputy did too. He doesn't know what he's driving up to and he had no backup. No reason to think a single deputy is up to no good, he probably didn't want to knock on that door either.
I've responded to many "911 hangups" in my career. Most were kids messing around and that's a good way to get rid of the officer. Each case is different.
My cell phone dialed 911 all by itself a few months ago. I got a phone call back from Kodiak PD. The dispatcher must have asked me 5 times if i was due everything was OK. I finally asked her if she wanted me to drive to the station and meet with her. She finally believed me🤷
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
Not a LEO, don't pretend to be one, have no idea what their general procedures are. But sneaking around unannounced on someone's property, shining lights in windows, seems like a silly move that could get somebody hurt.
Originally Posted by auk1124
Not a LEO, don't pretend to be one, have no idea what their general procedures are. But sneaking around unannounced on someone's property, shining lights in windows, seems like a silly move that could get somebody hurt.
According to the LEO on this forum, that is called “ Handling it correctly “.

Idiots to the core, dangerous idiots.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
I am not going to backread all of the couch commando replies but Massad Ayoob covered this.

If you’ve watched 4,000+ hours of his youtube videos, it’s covered.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
you all realize ole Stevie is a fed right?
Originally Posted by gitem_12

eek That could explain a lot, Det.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
I see Obama's war on cops is alive and well with some of our 'fire brethren.

Don't be a F'n idiot and you won't get shot.

Unless it's the FBI, then you're going to get shot.

lol

Man, imagine the nerve it would take walking up to a house where a recent murder may have occurred causing a hangup, being alone and stepping in to the light to make an easy target.

I volunteer Travis or Jackoff Handy.
Originally Posted by victoro
[quote=DMc]How does a short in a telephone line create a 911 call?[/quote

If your line is shorted out you can't get dial tone so you can't call anybody.

Pappy348 left a good post about this.

The telephone switching equipment sees the multiple shorts across the line as dial pulses, as from a rotary dial phone. I seem to recall that before I retired my company was planning to disable the dial pulse receivers since no one used or even made those phones any more.

Early in my career, the situation was reversed, not all of the equipment could handle touchtones, and when someone wanted touchtone service, their line location often had to be moved to provide access. Since only company-provided phones were legal then, that switch was made in coordination with a service call to install the new phone. Those early TT phones wouldn’t work if the line Tip and Ring pair was reversed either, which happened occasionally during cable work, or when people tried to DIY an extension (also illegal). It was common for people to acquire a touchtone telephone somehow and then find it didn’t work because either the line was flipped or their office equipment wasn’t TT capable.

Things certainly have changed!
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
Maybe turn their flashing lights on before they go looking into windows with a flashlight.

Seems like a good idea to me. Had a cow hit by a car about midnight one time. Deputy came to the house to ask me to come get the cow. He drove up and started pounding on the side of the house and woke me up. No lights flashing, nothing to identify himself as LE.

As they say …….
Posted By: rainshot Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
Land lines can and give false 911 hang up on occasion. It has happened to me. The SO deputy probably didn’t want to get out in the rain that night and knock to see if it was ok. I felt sorry for his trouble. The problem usually is moisture related. Water in the drop corroding the conductors. Usually the tip side since it’s at ground potential. It can happen in the cable terminals and splices as well from rodent problems and moisture.
Be prudent and don’t creat a situation where somebody is going to get hurt.
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
Right, walking around in the middle of the night on private property,peering into windows with a flashlight making sure the homeowner has no clue as to who the invader is, is the best way to handle it. Gotchya

An unwritten rule of LE, create a situation you can escalate and then escalate the hell out of it. Call for reinforcement so they can participate. Adrenalin rush.
Originally Posted by 45_100

Seems like a good idea to me. Had a cow hit by a car about midnight one time. Deputy came to the house to ask me to come get the cow. He drove up and started pounding on the side of the house and woke me up. No lights flashing, nothing to identify himself as LE.

As they say …….

As they say... this how it is "handled correctly."

An unwritten rule of LE, create a situation you can escalate and then escalate the hell out of it. Call for reinforcement so they can participate. Adrenalin rush.
Yup, might even get to bag a dog or two.
Posted By: BuckHaggard Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23

Okay Einstein.

That's not what I asked. I asked if you were the OFFICER how would you handle the call if you went to the 9-1-1 call and nobody responded to your knocks on the door? Or if someone inside yelled through the door, "Nobody here called you. Go away!" Play pretend pin the badge on and tell us what is the officer supposed to do in that situation.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
Originally Posted by auk1124

I agree, but I know at least a dozen folk this happened to on stormy nights. A few of them after repeats turned the damn landline off !

One time it was when some friends had visitors, some in RV trailers and a couple of loving teens in a tent. It was an ugly situation.

Inmate?
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23

Inmate?
nope, hes an employee hired to stir trouble on inna web forums
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
I can't believe this many people have landlines.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
I'd just call my local sheriff. He'd tell me immediately if some guy claiming to be LE is on my lawn.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
I'd prefer the cops stay away from my house. Fuggers are more likely to kill my dogs or me than a criminal is. At least with criminals I can fight back if they start shooting and I might not go to prison for the rest of my life if I win. Fuggin cops these days are just downright dangerous. Trigger happy bastards.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23

Gotta be Texas.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
I'd just call my local sheriff. He'd tell me immediately if some guy claiming to be LE is on my lawn.

That certainly seems like the thing to do, but a lot can go wrong on the way to the correct answer. Being awakened from sleep by the dogs going crazy and someone shining a flashlight in the window seems like a pretty high pressure situation. If the LEO ends up getting shot, the homeowner might want me in the jury. Something like this this could go sideways in a hurry.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/16/23
Originally Posted by WMR

That certainly seems like the thing to do, but a lot can go wrong on the way to the correct answer. Being awakened from sleep by the dogs going crazy and someone shining a flashlight in the window seems like a pretty high pressure situation. If the LEO ends up getting shot, the homeowner might want me in the jury. Something like this this could go sideways in a hurry.

Yeah it could…from either side.
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/17/23
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I'd prefer the cops stay away from my house. Fuggers are more likely to kill my dogs or me than a criminal is. At least with criminals I can fight back if they start shooting and I might not go to prison for the rest of my life if I win. Fuggin cops these days are just downright dangerous. Trigger happy bastards.
The largest threat to America’s Democracy, The Constitution and our Civil Liberties is todays LEO.

If it weren’t for LEO, Politicians, especially Liberal Politicians, would just be some people with bad ideas.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/17/23
Law enforcement agencies all across the country are hiring. Some you whiny ass know-it-alls should sign up and show them how it’s done.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Law enforcement agencies all across the country are hiring. Some you whiny ass know-it-alls should sign up and show them how it’s done.
Somebody should give them a copy of The Constitution. Might have to read it to them however.
Posted By: Raferman Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/17/23
They're all 80 years old or jackoff handsy types.

Even as a reserve deputy if their county has it available might be a bit enlightening.

But the same blowhards here would be the douchebag that "patrols" the fairgrounds looking for someone pissing behind one of the barns and tell everyone that'll listen that he "works with the sheriff's office" lol
Posted By: MOGC Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/17/23

Inmate?
nope, hes an employee hired to stir trouble on inna web forums

Well huh... On the bright side, I guess it is good someone with his limited intellect is gainfully employed.
Posted By: Slavek Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/17/23
It was nice of them to send deputy to make sure everything was alright.👍👍
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/17/23
Originally Posted by WMR

Some of the cases I know of the cops breached a locked automatic gate on the driveway. Then just because one 19 year old kin folk was boning her boyfriend and smoking weed in a tent it turned into a fiasco. All because of some BS supposed landline 911 hangup.

I personally believe the objective of this is to cause a situation, seen it too many times to be an accident.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/17/23

Even as a reserve deputy if their county has it available might be a bit enlightening.

But the same blowhards here would be the douchebag that "patrols" the fairgrounds looking for someone pissing behind one of the barns and tell everyone that'll listen that he "works with the sheriff's office" lol

LMFAO!!!!

Describes them to a T! grin

*Ignores the beer can in your hand and puffs out chest*

"You been drinkin tonight?"
Originally Posted by slumlord
I am not going to backread all of the couch commando replies but Massad Ayoob covered this.

If you’ve watched 4,000+ hours of his youtube videos, it’s covered.

No time for that sonny boy!

I got a cheese sandwich (not grilled....lazy crippled up old bitch mad) for lunch and Gunsmoke at 1:00 pm.

Dinner at 4:00.

Sharp.
Never answer the door.

Never talk to police.

Always film the police.

And NEVER-NEVER Call The Police

…and Always Stay Away from doors and windows.

Posted By: Kodiakisland Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/17/23
As far as the original question, I'm going to call 911 and verify before I open the door to anyone in the middle of the night. Especially if they give me a story about a land line I don't have.
Posted By: deflave Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/17/23
I would say your "experience" isn't all that much then.

LOL

No.

He didn't.
That's not what I asked. I asked if you were the OFFICER how would you handle the call if you went to the 9-1-1 call and nobody responded to your knocks on the door? Or if someone inside yelled through the door, "Nobody here called you. Go away!" Play pretend pin the badge on and tell us what is the officer supposed to do in that situation.

Red and blues on for starters.

"SHERIFF DEPARTMENT" is next.

None of this was described by the OP.

Approaching solo is flat fugking stupid. And I don't want to hear about "we only got one cop for 700 square miles." If that's the case you don't need a police presence at all. And you damn sure don't need to investigate 911 hang ups @ 0300.
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/17/23

Approaching solo is flat fugking stupid. And I don't want to hear about "we only got one cop for 700 square miles." If that's the case you don't need a police presence at all. And you damn sure don't need to investigate 911 hang ups @ 0300.

If those lights would have been on it would have put me in an entirely different mindset and I would not have had to ask who is knocking on my door. Since this took place that's the one question that runs through my mind as to why those lights were not on.

Years ago, the very day I moved into my new house, a body was found within half mile of my place. Guy was murdered and left in the woods. It turned out to be a drug deal thing. A few days later a highway patrol investigator and the city cop, who I had known for 15 years came here to ask me some questions. As soon as they got out of the car, after dark, the city cop stated his name loud enough for me to hear. I opened the door and invited them in. I always wondered about him getting his name out so loud and so soon but now I see why. He had allot of experience and was just using good judgement in how he approached coming to my house. He knew me well enough to do it that way and I knew him well enough to trust him.

How bout this, posted a couple posts before your ignorant post.

Posted By: 45_100 Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/17/23
Don’t most if not all police cars have an intercom system, siren and flashing lights? Use the intercom to announce your presence. Blip the siren. Flash the lights. Anyone or more as appropriate for the situation.

Have 911 call the phone back and check to see if the call was legitimate. LE trains how to escalate situations and for SWAT events. They do all this high profile training. Do they also plan and train for the mundane, everyday situations they might encounter?
Don’t most if not all police cars have an intercom system, siren and flashing lights? Use the intercom to announce your presence. Blip the siren. Flash the lights. Anyone or more as appropriate for the situation.

Have 911 call the phone back and check to see if the call was legitimate. LE trains how to escalate situations and for SWAT events. They do all this high profile training. Do they also plan and train for the mundane, everyday situations they might encounter?
This should help answer your question.

Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
I personally believe the objective of this is to cause a situation, seen it too many times to be an accident.
We live half a mile from the nearest pavement, on a narrow dead end gravel road. My property straddles the county line, so the sheriff's department of either one is half an hour's Code 3 drive or more away. Any LEO who ventures more than 25 feet from the center of that road in the middle of the night is on private property, and he/she will be afforded the same rights and priveleges by me as any other trespasser. If he establishes that he has a good reason to be here, he will be treated with the dignity and respect that he, or a private citizen deserves. If he's an obnoxious azzole with a badge, a set of blue lights, and an attitude, he will receive all the "due respect" he deserves- - - -which isn't much!
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
We live half a mile from the nearest pavement, on a narrow dead end gravel road. My property straddles the county line, so the sheriff's department of either one is half an hour's Code 3 drive or more away. Any LEO who ventures more than 25 feet from the center of that road in the middle of the night is on private property, and he/she will be afforded the same rights and priveleges by me as any other trespasser. If he establishes that he has a good reason to be here, he will be treated with the dignity and respect that he, or a private citizen deserves. If he's an obnoxious azzole with a badge, a set of blue lights, and an attitude, he will receive all the "due respect" he deserves- - - -which isn't much!

You gotta be the toughest guy you know.

LOL

If those lights would have been on it would have put me in an entirely different mindset and I would not have had to ask who is knocking on my door. Since this took place that's the one question that runs through my mind as to why those lights were not on.

Years ago, the very day I moved into my new house, a body was found within half mile of my place. Guy was murdered and left in the woods. It turned out to be a drug deal thing. A few days later a highway patrol investigator and the city cop, who I had known for 15 years came here to ask me some questions. As soon as they got out of the car, after dark, the city cop stated his name loud enough for me to hear. I opened the door and invited them in. I always wondered about him getting his name out so loud and so soon but now I see why. He had allot of experience and was just using good judgement in how he approached coming to my house. He knew me well enough to do it that way and I knew him well enough to trust him.

Your concerns are valid.

That cop was an ass hole.
According to the Boys in Blue here on The Fire, NOT activating the flashing lights and not identifying himself before he when peeping into windows is SOP.

Don’t expect anything different next time.

Now that they know you have a dog, they will be back
Posted By: efw Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/17/23
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/17/23

Why would the cherries and berries have mattered?

Any swinging dick can get a set and impersonate a cop. Same with a sirenand loud speaker.

In that situation I am calling 911 to see if it's legit before I open the door.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Any swinging dick can get a set and impersonate a cop. Same with a sirenand loud speaker.

It might help deescalate the situation, then again it may not, but as NOT turning on the flasher is SOP, we will never know.

Light or no lights,

Never answer the door

Never talk to police, sheriffs, FBI, ATF etc., that are all one entity

Stay away from doors and windows

And hide your dog

In all honesty, in my 19 years in LE, I’ve never attended any training that promoted premeditated escalation of force. And that’s with me being an instructor since 2009, supervisor since 2013, and as a unit commander for the last three years. We already have enough on our plates as it is.

However, we do scenario training every 3 months where we bring in trained actors. Most scenarios can be resolved peacefully. However, just like reality, some scenarios go bad and a lot is dependent on the interaction between the officer and actor. Then again, some scenarios are premeditated attacks by the actor, which is also reality.

Between 950 and 1100 people are shot and killed by a police officer every year in the US. Based on the average 174 hrs per month spread out over 800,000 officers nationwide, the worst case scenario is roughly 1 death per 1.5 million hours of policing. That means 1,649,998,900 hrs of policing goes by every year with no one getting killed.

If we were out picking fights and escalating situations, we would be killing WAY more people. There are plenty of dirtbags we deal with that would be more worthy of an “escalation” vs a law abiding citizen. The hell you go through in an OIS review is not worth any kind of notch on a belt. Trust me, you’re not worth it!

More people die of medical mistakes every 3 days than die by police over a year. Who should you really be afraid of?
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/17/23
Spiders….
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/17/23
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle

In all honesty, in my 19 years in LE, I’ve never attended any training that promoted premeditated escalation of force. And that’s with me being an instructor since 2009, supervisor since 2013, and as a unit commander for the last three years. We already have enough on our plates as it is.

However, we do scenario training every 3 months where we bring in trained actors. Most scenarios can be resolved peacefully. However, just like reality, some scenarios go bad and a lot is dependent on the interaction between the officer and actor. Then again, some scenarios are premeditated attacks by the actor, which is also reality.

Between 950 and 1100 people are shot and killed by a police officer every year in the US. Based on the average 174 hrs per month spread out over 800,000 officers nationwide, the worst case scenario is roughly 1 death per 1.5 million hours of policing. That means 1,649,998,900 hrs of policing goes by every year with no one getting killed.

If we were out picking fights and escalating situations, we would be killing WAY more people. There are plenty of dirtbags we deal with that would be more worthy of an “escalation” vs a law abiding citizen. The hell you go through in an OIS review is not worth any kind of notch on a belt. Trust me, you’re not worth it!

More people die of medical mistakes every 3 days than die by police over a year. Who should you really be afraid of?
Not arguing your numbers at all but how many are shot that don't die?

Not arguing your numbers at all but how many are shot that don't die?

Good question. I have no clue! I know that roughly 85,000 trips to the ER occur nationwide per year due to an interaction with police. But, we pretty much have to take someone to the ER for anything. A nasty ingrown hair that swells from cuffs is a sure trip to the ER.

It’s a common tactic for the savvy individual. Make them take you to the HR and if it takes too long, the cop will leave you there if you didn’t commit a Class A felony.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/17/23
We live 3/4 of a mile from where anyone should be in the middle of our property. My wife stays home alone while I'm off hunting and fishing. I can't see where walking around shining a light in the windows would be a thing for anyone. We have our home phone and cell phone numbers on the front and back gates. Cop's have a terrible job, I can't imagine having to put up with what they have to.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/17/23
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Cop's have a terrible job, I can't imagine having to put up with what they have to.
Have to ? Somebody's forcing them to be cops ?
Cop's have a terrible job, I can't imagine having to put up with what they have to.

Blackfart scammed those COVID bucks like a mother fugker.

Then she “retired.”

LOL
Yeah, no schit, I can’t imagine the stress and mental fatigue our FBI and ATF cops in the field have to go through every day when they Raid disabled veteran’s homes and shoot them dead, or when they go dog hunting, or even when they raid the home of the former President of the United States.

Tuff job man, tuff job.

But hey, as long as they made it home safe.

I wonder if they just mount their Dog harvests, or they eat the meat as well.
The 911 hang up investigations are so fugking laughable.

Then she “retired.”

LOL
deflave lies his fuucking ass off about everything on here and is a despicable excuse for a human being.
Everything ain't a joke but you sure the fuuck are.

Then she “retired.”

LOL
deflave lies his fuucking ass off about everything on here and is a despicable excuse for a human being.

How many months of them COVID checks you end with?

And tell us all how many vaccinations you got before realizing you got scammed.

LOL

You fugking f a g g o t.

Sure thing, f a g g o t.
Yup, just out looking to creat a situation, where they can abuse their authority and kill something
Yup, just out looking to creat a situation, where can abuse their authority and kill something

I don’t know about that but the idea that every 911 hang up needs to he investigated is nothing short of absurd.
Especially when a hang-up generates an automatic call back.. been there done that.

They call the number that hung up on them.

In this case, that return call would have resulted in a Disconnected number.

The cop is full of schit, typical.

Sure thing, f a g g o t.
Whewee, impressive response dumbphuck.
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/17/23
When I speak of escalating a situation, it doesn’t mean someone has to get shot or killed. A lot, not all, LE seem determined to make an arrest as a way of terminating a call. The prevalent attitude SEEMS to be “you have done something illegal. I am going to intimidate you into making a confession and arrest you.”
When I speak of escalating a situation, it doesn’t mean someone has to get shot or killed. A lot, not all, LE seem determined to make an arrest as a way of terminating a call. The prevalent attitude SEEMS to be “you have done something illegal. I am going to intimidate you into making a confession and arrest you.”

Well, if the officer knows you did something illegal, they should enforce the law, right?

Most calls go nowhere. Between 1990 and 2010, the average number of arrests nationwide per year was around 13,000,000. Between 2010 and 2020, the average went down to about 11,000,000 a year. Since COVID, it’s been around 6,000,000.

So, arrests are way down. The numbers don’t support the narrative that officers are more aggressive.

Sure thing, f a g g o t.

Sure thing, f a g g o t.

LOL

Sure thing, f a g g o t.

Sure thing, f a g g o t.

LOL
Tell me, when your face looks like a twat, do you have the urge to suck a cock every day and does your breath always smell of fish ?
Posted By: Raferman Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/17/23

Sure thing, f a g g o t.

Sure thing, f a g g o t.

LOL
Tell me, when your face looks like a twat, do you have the urge to suck a cock every day and does your breath always smell of fish ?
A real zinger.
Lol

You tell me, Mr. Pistolsmith.

LOL
Posted By: 79S Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/17/23

Sure thing, f a g g o t.

Sure thing, f a g g o t.

LOL

Wo Pard, ph ucking Wo! Uncalled for Pard ph ucking uncalled for.
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/17/23

Around here if there's some illegal and ongoing activity going on, like buying some lights and impersonating an officer taking place news spreads quick. Granted my place could have been targeted first but the odds of that happening are less than slim. I can say with the utmost confidence though that if those lights were on I would have not felt as i did. Even if it had been an imposter I had a back up plan to take care of my family. Calling 911 to verify is fine but if that guy on the other side of my door had ill intentions two things likely would have happened.
1. He'd had left in a hurry.
2. He'd have realized he had little time and kicked his plans into action resulting in bad things taking place.

But here's the reality of it all. What took place at my house that night and the safe outcome completely rested on my reaction. Not the officer. Had I opened that door with a gun in hand or even shot him through the window was not up to him. He had no control over any of that at this point. That was a big mistake on his part, in my opinion. He is fortunate I have a healthy respect for LEOs. I don't regret being that way and unless there's a reason it won't change. I also know the only thing between me and a criminal coming into my house and killing my wife, kids and my dogs is me. If I fail they lose. I made a choice that night to take a chance on him being honest. I had everything to lose by doing that. It worked out fine but he dropped the ball, not me. He also put himself in harms way way too easy. I think these guys need some more or different training on how to handle this. It would be best for all of us.

Now that I'm at it. It used to be if someone wanted elected to public office they came and knocked on the door and asked for my vote. I've never met the sheriff. I can't just walk into his office anymore and say hi, the doors are locked. Now after all of this covid junk these people don't take the time to get around the county and try to get elected. They rely on social media. Or just expect you to find out about them. All of it sucks. In years past our sheriff called me when our concealed carry law passed and suggested I get one. We knew each other. He did that with others too, I'm sure. So who's place is it to know the LEOs? They are making it harder for people like me, that live within the law to get to know them. Sometimes I get the feeling that anyone in authority has this idea that we all just need to shut up and do as they say and we will be living the dream.

Around here if there's some illegal and ongoing activity going on, like buying some lights and impersonating an officer taking place news spreads quick. Granted my place could have been targeted first but the odds of that happening are less than slim. I can say with the utmost confidence though that if those lights were on I would have not felt as i did. Even if it had been an imposter I had a back up plan to take care of my family. Calling 911 to verify is fine but if that guy on the other side of my door had ill intentions two things likely would have happened.
1. He'd had left in a hurry.
2. He'd have realized he had little time and kicked his plans into action resulting in bad things taking place.

But here's the reality of it all. What took place at my house that night and the safe outcome completely rested on my reaction. Not the officer. Had I opened that door with a gun in hand or even shot him through the window was not up to him. He had no control over any of that at this point. That was a big mistake on his part, in my opinion. He is fortunate I have a healthy respect for LEOs. I don't regret being that way and unless there's a reason it won't change. I also know the only thing between me and a criminal coming into my house and killing my wife, kids and my dogs is me. If I fail they lose. I made a choice that night to take a chance on him being honest. I had everything to lose by doing that. It worked out fine but he dropped the ball, not me. He also put himself in harms way way too easy. I think these guys need some more or different training on how to handle this. It would be best for all of us.

Now that I'm at it. It used to be if someone wanted elected to public office they came and knocked on the door and asked for my vote. I've never met the sheriff. I can't just walk into his office anymore and say hi, the doors are locked. Now after all of this covid junk these people don't take the time to get around the county and try to get elected. They rely on social media. Or just expect you to find out about them. All of it sucks. In years past our sheriff called me when our concealed carry law passed and suggested I get one. We knew each other. He did that with others too, I'm sure. So who's place is it to know the LEOs? They are making it harder for people like me, that live within the law to get to know them. Sometimes I get the feeling that anyone in authority has this idea that we all just need to shut up and do as they say and we will be living the dream.

Damned good post.
Yes.

Well, if the officer knows you did something illegal, they should enforce the law, right?

Most calls go nowhere. Between 1990 and 2010, the average number of arrests nationwide per year was around 13,000,000. Between 2010 and 2020, the average went down to about 11,000,000 a year. Since COVID, it’s been around 6,000,000.

So, arrests are way down. The numbers don’t support the narrative that officers are more aggressive.

Pssst, it’s called sStand Down Orders
Posted By: MOGC Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/17/23

You are just cutting and pasting other people's responses. You still haven't answered the question. Your plan and advice, if you are the homeowner, is to not answer the door and not respond to the officer outside. So just for fun, what would YOU do if you were the officer outside, lights on, identifying yourself and all that jazz and you get no response from inside the house or a muffled "go away" yelled out to you? How do you handle that knowing the ramifications of just driving away and letting it be whatever it is? You don't have any answers, just frightening tales of bs and blather. I bet you hold a flashlight under your chin as you type to make those scary stories even m o r e scary. Insert evil laugh.
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/18/23

You are just cutting and pasting other people's responses. .

Let’s see if I can help you out as you obviously can read or count.

This post of mine was number 50.

Of the previous 49 posts, please quote the one or ones that mentioned the idiot cop should have turned his flashing lights on.

I’ll wait, if you can’t produce the quote, then STFU you illiterate moron.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/18/23
Never answer the door for LEO and NEVER talk to the cops, never.

You have NO obligation to assist them in their investigation and no obligation to talk to them.

They are not your friend and they are NOT the good guys.

Can’t emphasize how correct the above is.
The average LEO is low IQ and sees his position as one of power which is a bad combination.
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/18/23

Your point is well taken based on what I posted. What I should have said is the attitude seems to be “everyone is breaking the law, it’s my job to figure out what you are doing and arrest you for it.” Very possible the decline in arrests is because people have changed their opinion of LE and justified or not, LE is being held to a higher standard.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Late night LEO visit - 09/18/23

You are just cutting and pasting other people's responses. .

Let’s see if I can help you out as you obviously can read or count.

This post of mine was number 50.

Of the previous 49 posts, please quote the one or ones that mentioned the idiot cop should have turned his flashing lights on.

I’ll wait, if you can’t produce the quote, then STFU you illiterate moron.

Still dodging the question. I think you are being obtuse however it may be that you are too simple-minded to understand the question. In either case, it is obvious there will be no answer coming from you so that is that. Have a good week.
© 24hourcampfire