Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Jim1611 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
A few nights ago at about 1:00 a.m. my dog was really raising a ruckus. I got up without turning on any lights and made sure my wife didn't either. Then someone is shining a flashlight in through my windows. I could see someone on the porch and then that person knocked. I asked in a very loud voice who are you. I could see a car in the driveway but not enough to make out what kind or anything else. Then he announces he's a deputy of our county and that he was investigating a 911 hang up call from this location. Made from a land line. My first thought was someone kin to me died. We don't have a land line in the house and I told him that and my shop phone went dead the day before from the water company digging into the line. I opened the door then. He then said there was a call made from here again. I offered to let him check the shop phone himself and mentioned again it was dead. I told him the only way it could have been mine was by the line shorting out somewhere. He seemed skeptical. After asking me several questions he left.

The phone tech guy came by a couple of days later and I told him the story. He said the line most likely did short out and that it happens all the time. I called the sheriff's office to let them know all of this and she told me they get allot of these where the line shorts out. I've been thinking about all of this since and it makes me uneasy the way the officer handled himself. I suppose he was looking at things that there could be a crime in progress and someone made the call but got cut short. Allot of reasons and thoughts but here I am seeing someone shine a light in my house and how do I know it's not some whack job intent on shooting us. Most of my interactions with LEOs have always been positive and I have never been arrested to have a criminal record. It also makes me aware of how a knock in the night might not be what we might think.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Handled that way could have gotten the deputy killed, and consequently, you killed.

I've become hard of hearing lately, and understanding cops screaming orders and obscenities as fast as they can would be garbled gobbledygook to me.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
At least the officer was professional and you handled things calmly. They’re supposed to be skeptical.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
After you have enough encounters with LEO, you learn to not go to the door.... Keep the door locked.... and talk to them thru the window. And, stand back from the window when you do...

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Handled that way could have gotten the deputy killed, and consequently, you killed.

I've become hard of hearing lately, and understanding cops screaming orders and obscenities as fast as they can would be garbled gobbledygook to me.

Ain't this the truth.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Guess 911 hang ups don’t get investigated anymore.

The audacity of the deputy to knock is absolutely absurd.

MAGA
J
Jim1611 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Where did anyone say that?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jim1611

Where did anyone say that?

How would you rather the responding deputy have handled it? Thumbs in his pockets with a howdy doody grin on his face, his one and only round his his breast pocket?

MAGA
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
How does a short in a telephone line create a 911 call?

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Never answer the door for LEO and NEVER talk to the cops, never.

You have NO obligation to assist them in their investigation and no obligation to talk to them.

They are not your friend and they are NOT the good guys.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If LE gets a 9-1-1 call from a residence they are obligated to investigate. If you don't answer the door then how would the officer outside know that there wasn't someone injured inside and unable to answer but needed immediate medical attention? Or maybe there was some sort of violent attack of some sort going on and upon his arrival, the attacker was holding the people inside quiet by force? If the officer just shrugs and walks away and then later it is discovered someone in that house died from a medical emergency or had been murdered how does that reflect on the LE officer and agency? If you want to escalate the situation just yell "go away" from inside and refuse to answer the door. Knowing all the possibilities that could be happening how would YOU handle such a situation?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MOGC
If LE gets a 9-1-1 call from a residence they are obligated to investigate. If you don't answer the door then how would the officer outside know that there wasn't someone injured inside and unable to answer but needed immediate medical attention? Or maybe there was some sort of violent attack of some sort going on and upon his arrival, the attacker was holding the people inside quiet by force? If the officer just shrugs and walks away and then later it is discovered someone in that house died from a medical emergency or had been murdered how does that reflect on the LE officer and agency? If you want to escalate the situation just yell "go away" from inside and refuse to answer the door. Knowing all the possibilities that could be happening how would YOU handle such a situation?

LE is not responsible for your safety... They came, they looked, nothing suspicious was going on, they drive away.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Firecontrolman
At least the officer was professional and you handled things calmly. They’re supposed to be skeptical.
How does the deputy know that your wife isn't tied up in a back room and you were beating her ?? My guess is you two are not on a first name basis. I had a guy who refused to let me in the house and he wouldn't bring his wife to the door and talk to me. As it turned out, he had her in the basement beating her. Their son was home and he answered the door but he didn't say a thing about what was going on. His dad must of really had him intimidated.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If LE gets a 9-1-1 call from a residence they are obligated to investigate. If you don't answer the door then how would the officer outside know that there wasn't someone injured inside and unable to answer but needed immediate medical attention? Or maybe there was some sort of violent attack of some sort going on and upon his arrival, the attacker was holding the people inside quiet by force? If the officer just shrugs and walks away and then later it is discovered someone in that house died from a medical emergency or had been murdered how does that reflect on the LE officer and agency?

Beat me to it.....I am not in the habit of being overly cooperative with LEOs beyond what is legally required but after I verify that it actually is a cop at my door at O dark thirty especially, I am going to speak to the officer to avoid any escalation of the response. In the OPs scenario it would probably be something spoken through the still locked screen door along the lines of "No one here knowingly called 911, there is no emergency, its just the wife and I here, I can have her to come to the door as well if you REQUIRE, but please remain outside.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Not your/my problem.

Never answer the door and never talk to the police, ever.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
This, of course, is the problem. "How would the police know??? They don't know you're innocent!" Whether it's a screwed up phone line, or somebody calling to "swat" you, or whatever, people ARE being killed by police who "don't know you're innocent". I don't know a solution.

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
It’s surprising that nobody got killed. Someone shining a light in the windows makes this a “game on” situation. If the car is not identifiable, then there’s no way to know it is a LEO. Some stranger saying so doesn’t mean much. The OP knew there was no 911 call, so that explanation sounds like BS. Calling 911 himself to verify would be the correct action, but who thinks clearly when awakened by the dogs to find a situation like this?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
How would you rather the responding deputy have handled it? Thumbs in his pockets with a howdy doody grin on his face, his one and only round his his breast pocket?

That wouldn't be such a bad idea.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

Good reason for Leo to get a welfare check order and bust in a front door?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by marktheshark
If LE gets a 9-1-1 call from a residence they are obligated to investigate. If you don't answer the door then how would the officer outside know that there wasn't someone injured inside and unable to answer but needed immediate medical attention? Or maybe there was some sort of violent attack of some sort going on and upon his arrival, the attacker was holding the people inside quiet by force? If the officer just shrugs and walks away and then later it is discovered someone in that house died from a medical emergency or had been murdered how does that reflect on the LE officer and agency?

Beat me to it.....I am not in the habit of being overly cooperative with LEOs beyond what is legally required but after I verify that it actually is a cop at my door at O dark thirty especially, I am going to speak to the officer to avoid any escalation of the response. In the OPs scenario it would probably be something spoken through the still locked screen door along the lines of "No one here knowingly called 911, there is no emergency, its just the wife and I here, I can have her to come to the door as well if you REQUIRE, but please remain outside.

Damned if they do,
Fùcked if they don't!

Why in thee hell any(good)one wants to become a cop, I don't understand.
Used to be, they were hated by crooks, feared by many.

Today, even those who call for law and order, hate the Fuzz.

How does a cop properly respond to that call.
Looking around on the down low is dangerous and could pass off a resident.
Any knock is a problem.
Insisting on entering and searching is a No-Go.
If he doesn't search, and Jeffy Dahmer is cutting up his winter meat supply in the
kitchen, he didn't do his job.

Folks like to use pension concerns as a joke for cops.
Heck, that pension might be all the job has going for if.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1234, 66 invisible), 3,289 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,751
Posts18,476,196
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.