Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Not a LEO, don't pretend to be one, have no idea what their general procedures are. But sneaking around unannounced on someone's property, shining lights in windows, seems like a silly move that could get somebody hurt.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by auk1124
Not a LEO, don't pretend to be one, have no idea what their general procedures are. But sneaking around unannounced on someone's property, shining lights in windows, seems like a silly move that could get somebody hurt.
According to the LEO on this forum, that is called “ Handling it correctly “.

Idiots to the core, dangerous idiots.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am not going to backread all of the couch commando replies but Massad Ayoob covered this.

If you’ve watched 4,000+ hours of his youtube videos, it’s covered.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by MOGC
Steve4102 doesn't have any answers and no idea how to handle the situation.
you all realize ole Stevie is a fed right?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by gitem_12

eek That could explain a lot, Det.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I see Obama's war on cops is alive and well with some of our 'fire brethren.

Don't be a F'n idiot and you won't get shot.

Unless it's the FBI, then you're going to get shot.

lol

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
Any LEO responding to a 9-1-1 hangup must be cautious in their approach.
It only makes sense to step into a lighted area, if there is one, to be identified as a LEO.

As a citizen, I have absolutely NO outside lighting at night.
You knock on my door at night, you're in the dark.....and I'm not turning on any lights! Period!

Man, imagine the nerve it would take walking up to a house where a recent murder may have occurred causing a hangup, being alone and stepping in to the light to make an easy target.

I volunteer Travis or Jackoff Handy.

Last edited by jaguartx; 09/16/23.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Jim1611 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by victoro
[quote=DMc]How does a short in a telephone line create a 911 call?[/quote

If your line is shorted out you can't get dial tone so you can't call anybody.

Pappy348 left a good post about this.

The telephone switching equipment sees the multiple shorts across the line as dial pulses, as from a rotary dial phone. I seem to recall that before I retired my company was planning to disable the dial pulse receivers since no one used or even made those phones any more.

Early in my career, the situation was reversed, not all of the equipment could handle touchtones, and when someone wanted touchtone service, their line location often had to be moved to provide access. Since only company-provided phones were legal then, that switch was made in coordination with a service call to install the new phone. Those early TT phones wouldn’t work if the line Tip and Ring pair was reversed either, which happened occasionally during cable work, or when people tried to DIY an extension (also illegal). It was common for people to acquire a touchtone telephone somehow and then find it didn’t work because either the line was flipped or their office equipment wasn’t TT capable.

Things certainly have changed!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by steve4102
Maybe turn their flashing lights on before they go looking into windows with a flashlight.

As they say, you can’t fix stupid.

Seems like a good idea to me. Had a cow hit by a car about midnight one time. Deputy came to the house to ask me to come get the cow. He drove up and started pounding on the side of the house and woke me up. No lights flashing, nothing to identify himself as LE.

As they say …….

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Land lines can and give false 911 hang up on occasion. It has happened to me. The SO deputy probably didn’t want to get out in the rain that night and knock to see if it was ok. I felt sorry for his trouble. The problem usually is moisture related. Water in the drop corroding the conductors. Usually the tip side since it’s at ground potential. It can happen in the cable terminals and splices as well from rodent problems and moisture.
Be prudent and don’t creat a situation where somebody is going to get hurt.

Last edited by rainshot; 09/16/23.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard
The cop handled it just the way he was supposed to handle it, and being skeptical is a requirement.
Right, walking around in the middle of the night on private property,peering into windows with a flashlight making sure the homeowner has no clue as to who the invader is, is the best way to handle it. Gotchya

And if the homeowner is holding a firearm, start shooting, dog first.

An unwritten rule of LE, create a situation you can escalate and then escalate the hell out of it. Call for reinforcement so they can participate. Adrenalin rush.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 45_100
Maybe turn their flashing lights on before they go looking into windows with a flashlight.

As they say, you can’t fix stupid.

Seems like a good idea to me. Had a cow hit by a car about midnight one time. Deputy came to the house to ask me to come get the cow. He drove up and started pounding on the side of the house and woke me up. No lights flashing, nothing to identify himself as LE.

As they say …….

As they say... this how it is "handled correctly."

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 45_100
The cop handled it just the way he was supposed to handle it, and being skeptical is a requirement.
Right, walking around in the middle of the night on private property,peering into windows with a flashlight making sure the homeowner has no clue as to who the invader is, is the best way to handle it. Gotchya

An unwritten rule of LE, create a situation you can escalate and then escalate the hell out of it. Call for reinforcement so they can participate. Adrenalin rush.
Yup, might even get to bag a dog or two.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Okay Einstein.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know exactly how I would handle it.

Do not answer the door and do not talk to cops, ever.

Protect my wife, kids and dog, from these POS.

That's not what I asked. I asked if you were the OFFICER how would you handle the call if you went to the 9-1-1 call and nobody responded to your knocks on the door? Or if someone inside yelled through the door, "Nobody here called you. Go away!" Play pretend pin the badge on and tell us what is the officer supposed to do in that situation.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by auk1124

I agree, but I know at least a dozen folk this happened to on stormy nights. A few of them after repeats turned the damn landline off !

One time it was when some friends had visitors, some in RV trailers and a couple of loving teens in a tent. It was an ugly situation.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 09/16/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Inmate?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Inmate?
nope, hes an employee hired to stir trouble on inna web forums

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I can't believe this many people have landlines.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'd just call my local sheriff. He'd tell me immediately if some guy claiming to be LE is on my lawn.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (10gaugemag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 3333vl, 358WCF, 21 invisible), 15,075 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,978
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.