Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Feral_American
Originally Posted by 79S
What’s a normal prs match range??? I know it’s extremely hard for people to find places to shoot 1k yd and beyond. Yeah i know guys driving out to the desert and shooting.. I can see like a regional style match going to over 800 plus yds. Also to run these 6mm out to 1200 I’m going to assume they are using hit indicators.

Plenty of stuff on the YouTube that can educate you about PRS.

I rather hear from you since you shoot it. Hell you are shooting from boat platform. In a way I find this odd, a guy who shoots ie you “prs” tells someone to go watch you tube videos about PRS.

I already laid it out for you above. Everything I've experienced in my time shooting the disapline in one day regional matches at six different venues in two mid Atlantic states. What more do you want?

Yeah, some clubs started using hit indicators the last couple years I shot, but the RO's call on the spotting scope was always final. Targets without hit indicators were repainted several times during a match.
A couple venues didn't go past 1000 yards, some others had 1100 and 1200. The match director can set up whatever COF he wants to, and you didn't know what you had until you signed in and got the stages handout.
Out of 100 or 110 shooters on a roster MOST of them only got to shoot that kind of distance on match day. Unless the club held a "practice" day between matches. I never bothered to pay for a practice day because I have out to 1175 on my own range.
You are absolutely right about the wind though, and no matter what you're shooting. If you couldn't figure that out you're pissing up a rope the whole day. You had to see more than one wind direction at a time at some of these places, and, morning wind at the start of the day likely wasn't going be the same wind at 4:00 when the match is wrapping up. A lot of things got shared amongst the shooters, including gear, but wind reads were kept close to the vest.
I don't know what more I can tell you. It's a disapline in it's own class as far as I'm concerned. A good shooter with a 1MOA rifle will do far better than a mediocre shooter with the best rifle. The way the stages are set up it's WAY more about the indian than the arrow. I wish it was around 30 or 40 years ago. Before bone on bone hip joints and tore up knees forced me out. Can't win at that game if you can't move through a stage.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine