Originally Posted by sherm_61
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
My experience with clickers (using non-PRC cases) is that the initial bolt lift feels normal, but the primary extraction is difficult. Hence, the "click" when the bolt handle hits the camming ramp on the receiver. I've had this happen, even with moderate loads, in .243AI and .223AI cases after 4-5 firings. And by "moderate," I mean near-max published loads for the non-AI, SAAMI versions of the cartridges. Admittedly, I am one who is certainly ignorant to the actual pressures of those loads, but the various pieces of evidence available to me leads me to believe that peak pressures were moderate. Seems to be a work-hardening issue near the base of the case, as FL sizing seems to help. A SB die would be even better, I'm sure.
If your convinced the SB die will work then why not just use the AW2 reamer? many have just ran it in by hand on a saami chamber.
I tried the SB thing and it just cracked the die so I said F it and had my reamer reground. Problem solved
If your mechanically inclined its not that hard, if you dont have the know how or not sure of yourself have a smith do it, some have even polished the back end .002
If you dont have access to a lathe i suggest not to try the latter.
I'm not convinced that a SB die (possibly custom) would work with the PRC problem we're discussing, but I don't see why it wouldn't. I'm also not opposed to any particular reamer. I don't have experience with PRC cases and clickers, so I'm trying to understand the issue and am asking questions more than giving answers. My comment above was about my experience with clickers using .223AI and .243AI cases. There's nothing special about the dimensions of new brass. A die of the proper dimensions can size fired brass to dimensions that are smaller than new. Work hardening plays a role and may require an extra tight die. But again, I'm not opposed to the AW2 reamer, either.

Your die cracking is the first I've ever heard of that happening when sizing a brass case.