Originally Posted by Jim1611
Originally Posted by Anaconda
You need to narrow your question down a lot.

Start by answering these questions;

I’m just curious
or
I’m serious, I want to go on a guided elk hunt

I am in excellent physical condition
I am a couch potato

I would be happy with a cow / raghorn
I am hoping for a decent 6X6
I want to shoot a monster bull

I want to stay in a hotel and eat in restaurants
I want to sleep in a tent and eat around a campfire.
I want to horse pack into unspoiled wilderness

I have lots of points in several states
What is a point ?

My budget (per hunter) is
bare minimum $5,000

Can you get a good guided hunt for $5000.00? I haven't even started looking around at outfitters yet and was hoping to hear about a few that some of the folks on here have used to avoid the bad apple that's always in the bunch. We paid for a drop camp once a few years ago and that was a fleecing if there ever was one.

Serious yes. I've been to Colorado several times hunting elk on my own with friends but as I have gotten older, 62 most of the guys being older than me have gotten to the point of not being able to go. I've got some younger friends but it seems most of them are so tied down they just can't go. Going by myself is okay but it's allot of work so that brings me to a guided hunt and not that I'm lazy and want to be catered to. It would just be good to not have to make a camp and all that goes with it and haul an elk out by myself if I did get one.

Speaking of camp. No motels for me. If I hire a guided hunt I want to hunt in a remote area in a good camp with good food and good people. So I guess that means horse pack into unspoiled wilderness.

The only point I have is for the muzzle loader season in Colorado. A decent 6x6 would be outstanding. As far as my physical condition goes I would be ready when I went. I'm active every day and would put in extra time being in even better shape. In the past I used to ride 60-80 miles a week on my bike. That seemed to do me allot of good. I'm not kidding myself though thinking I can stay in lock step with a guide that's been living in the mountains for years and 30 years younger than me.

At $5k more than doubtful, particularly for "a decent 6X6", actually not even close I believe.

Conduct is the best proof of character.