OP's question.
Least magnification for quality glad at distance, (12” steel at distances of 600 yds plus.)

I have a Trijicon 1-6 on an AR. Great glass, I love the scope. However at 600yds plus it would not be my first choice. I also have an Athlon 2-12 Helos BTR Gen 2. Its another good scope. It would work well for your application, But it still would not be my first choice at that distance.

At 600yds plus I would prefer a little more magnification. I have 2 Arken 4-16x44 FFP scopes on AR's. Many people say that 16x is not necessary at 600 plus yards. And they are correct. It may not be necessary, but it sure is nice. I have shot 1000yds with a 3-9 power scope. you can put hits on target. But imo I would rather shoot with a scope at 14, 15, or 16 power. I have several Leupold VX5 3-15 HD's that are on bolt guns that work well at that distance. I also have a Leupold VX
6 HD 3-18 on a 260 Sako that works well at that distance. When you are talking about setting up a gun to shoot 600yds Plus. why limit yourself to a minimum magnification? You can always dial it down if you are shooting at closer distances.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]