Originally Posted by DMc
Never an issue at a La Quinta? Stayed in a dive in NW New Mexico where roaches were trying to steal my shoes. That was about the worst I can remember.

Some of ya'll might know the place; Abe's near the San Jaun River?

LOL. David, Everything in that area is pretty much a Schitthole except for the phenomenal trout fishing.
Stayed at Abe’s many times over the years while fly fishing the quality water below the Navajo Dam on the San Juan River.
Never saw any roaches in the rooms, but had a room there one year that was definitely a black widow spider breeding ground. 🤪
The breakfast and lunch at Abe’s little Cafe has always been great for a small out of the way joint like that.

We usually fish hard all day from about daylight till 3 or 4 pm, then drive into Durango for a great supper and then some Rocky Mountain Chocolate for desert.

I’m usually beat from wading the swift river current and fishing all day so I sleep like a log there. 😬

The Soaring Eagle Lodge, just down the road from Abe’s is a little nicer, but not much, at about twice the price.

And of course, there are no cheap places to stay in Durango, and a 60 mile drive to the San Juan in the dark through the narrow mountain roads ever morning to go fish is a no go for me.

A good friend of mine has a real nice 2 story log cabin on Vallecito Lake, Colorado, near Bayfield, where I can stay for free, but it’s about a hour and a half drive from there to go fish the quality water below the Navajo Dam on the San Juan.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 10/17/23.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~