Originally Posted by Rick99
Gene, your group of 99's for displaying sights is growing nicely.
... that 1899 no longer has that sight on it, my sight collection is growing but not my 99's, that gun has had several different sights and scopes on it, it's the one with the 5/8" Malcolm side mount scope setup.

I still don't know the who or when on this sight, I looked through patents 15 or so years ago but stopped at 1945, I recently got bock on the US Patent Website to look from then on and found they had totally changed the the format of the site and the format of all the search filters. I think I have it figured out now.... but it will be awhile before I sit down and look through them. I found over 900 firearms related patents containing the word 'sight' that were issued between Jan 1, 1945 and Dec 31, 1965 and there may never have been a patent issued for this sight. They now have the option to search application, which would turn up a lot more, but again, there may never have been an application for this sight filed.

If anyone wants to look at some sight patents go to the USPO website and open the 'Advanced Search' then from there 'Enhanced Search' and type in - 42/$.ccls. and sight and @pd>"19450101" and @pd<"19651231" You need the periods before and after ccls, $ is a wild card to cover all subcategories, 42 is the classification for most firearms related patents. It took me a lot of tries to finally figure there new format out and get results, so I made a copy -
[Linked Image]
Being from Wisconsin, I'm thinking that I might look through patents the next time the Packers play, it will be far less frustrating, and there may still be more to look through next spring when the Brewers start to play again....

Gene