Have no fear about the reticle or FFP. I bought one ~ 5 years ago to play with. I've run several tall target tests with it against a couple of NF SHVs I have on other rifles - it tracks well. I've had it on 3-4 different rifles and it has remained true.

I'll also say I'm not a serious 'dialer' meaning, that is not my primary shooting style. I enjoy shooting long range but keep all my shots at game inside 400 mainly because wind is a fickle bitch and all cartridges and loads require wind dope beyond 400 - I'm not that skilled at estimating the wind in areas I hunt. I've seen the wind blow 2 different directions between the end of the muzzle and the target. Wind flags were rather enlightening in that regard. So much so that I keep everything inside 400 yards. Others can do it well, I know I suck at it. I've accepted the fact that there are shot opportunities I have and will continue to pass on. Life is about tradeoffs, this is one I accept.

The reticle will be too small to use at anything less than ~ 4.5X. I keep mine set on 5. I live in TN and have used that scope effectively in TN, PA, CO, and WY. It is an entry level scope despite the price tag. I'd seriously look at an Athlon Helos if you can live with their reticle. I'm toying with buying one to try but I do like the Veracity Plex E3 reticle for hunting. To me it's fairly intuitive. The scope is also MOA which some dislike. I'm cool with MOA and have learned to adjust to that system. All told, you could do worse.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.