Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Tim_in_TN
Helping my son find a nice hunting scope, and we are looking at the 2x10 Burris Veracity. I never looked thru one so need a little help on quality of optics, thanks.

You need a first focal plane scope for hunting? Inquiring minds thing, has me questioning your choice. For hunting, I'd choose a FFII 3-9X40 with the ballistic plex reticle. Every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Not just because they are priced right, but because they absolutely work!!!

Maybe explain your criteria for wanting a first focal plane scope on your sons hunting rifle. Distances you plan on shooting, both near and far. Never hunted Tennesse, so I'm just wondering. I know in the dark timber where I hunt elk, I like the ability to turn the power down and still be able to see the reticle very boldly and clearly. You are not going to get that on a first focal plane scope like the one you are asking about.

For playing around/goofing around on steel targets way out there, and on max power, like exchippy shows pics of, the first focal plane scope will work just fine. But on a hunting rifle, not so much.
I don't really agree with this. While not a Veracity, my favorite hunting rifle wears a FFP scope and I absolutely love it. I went through a bunch of scopes before I settled in this one and I've been using it for a long time. You don't have to have a FFP scope by any means, but saying they don't work on a hunting rifle isn't true.

That said, I also own a Veracity (in a higher power) and a FF-II. Both are also great optics. I'm a huge fan of the FF-II on set it and forget it hunting rifles, so I don't want it to sound like saying anything negative about them. If I could get it in a FFP I'd like it even more.