Hunting solo - it's something I've done often over the years. Mostly for small game and upland birds, but sometimes for deer or even bear. There can be a particular satisfaction with having done the entire hunt alone. Hiking in, glassing, watching, waiting. Finding game. Stalking to within range. Making the shot... Field dressing, quartering or even boning out the animal alone, then hiking back to the waiting truck... Can make for a long and tiring day, but at the end of the day, you know that you did it all. That's a good feeling.

It's been a few years since I took a deer solo. A mule deer doe in 2015 with my 25-06, here in "north central Washington." A mule deer buck in 2017 also with my 25-06 here in Washington.

The doe was pretty simple. I had permission to hunt a ranch. I was in position well before dawn. It was cold, snowy and silent. As the sky brightened, I could see deer feeding not far from me. I waited patiently for a safe shot opportunity. One shot from sitting at easy range and the deal was done. I was able to drive the Jeep right to the deer, so field dressed her and lifted her into the Jeep, then away.

The buck came near last light on public land. I'd hunted hard all day. He wasn't huge, but a mature buck headed towards a nearby wheat field. My rifle was zeroed at 200 yards. I shot him at 212 yards, dropping him instantly. Again the shot was from sitting, no support other than the sling.

Walked down to him, and realized I'd be finishing the job in dark then hiking the mile or so back to the waiting Jeep. Alright then, get busy. It took me a while, I've never been particularly fast at this work. Got the buck quartered up, and de-boned some of it by the light of my headlamp. Full of fresh meat, the heavy pack was warm against my back as I began the long hike back to the Jeep and I was glad that the slope I headed up was neither steep, nor too high. Rifle in one hand, Deer head and antlers in the other, pack on my back, one foot in front of the other, slowly, surely up and over the ridge then downhill to the Jeep. It took me quite a while to cover that mile.

Felt so good to set my pack in the back of the Jeep, unload the rifle and put it away then head for home with a tired smile on my face. I'd done it again in my 60's, and knew I wasn't done doing that sort of thing.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Do some of you hunt alone for deer or other game?

Regards, Guy