Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by cra1948
I almost always hunt alone anymore. Most of my deer hunting down here is on a friend’s place where the few of us who hunt there all have our own stands so if I’m out there, everyone knows where. I hunt WMA’s alone. When I go North I hunt with my brothers and friends on the farm, but that’s all elevated stands, so after a few days of that, I go back to the big woods and hunt alone. They no longer go back and do that, having aged out of it. (I’m the oldest of the group at 75, but in a lot better shape.) I passed on a big 8 or 10 point last day I hunted up there, too far back. I’m going to get a deer cart for next year to take back with my climber, looking forward to it already.

IME a magnum roll-up toboggan or one of the JetSleds is much easier than a cart. I’ve used them all, and the big downsides of the carts is their weight, the spoked wheels, and the need to balance the load pretty well. The JetSleds are handy around the yard too. I use mine to move bags of mulch and soil, leaves, and wood/tree trimmings, towed behind my Cub Cadet.

Both are also cheaper than all but the cheapest carts, and trust me, you don’t want the cheap ones!

Thanks for the advice Pappy. I’ve been going back and forth over what to get. I’m using my friend’s cart down here currently, but it’s pretty clear path taking them out. I used a sled up north a few weeks ago and have used them up there before. I may well go with some sort of skidder which would be a lot better off the trails and in areas where logging has taken place.

Mathew 22: 37-39