Originally Posted by Cascade
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Used to hunt with my brother, but he’s been gone nearly 20 years. My sons are coming up on middle age(!) and live in another state, so yeah, I hunt alone. I too gave up climbing trees this year, and found a nice tripod seat that’s 21” tall, so easy to get on and off. My wife worries too, so I bought a Zoleo tracker and send her Okay messages now and then, and can also send texts if necessary. This season, I dressed the deer I shot and went home to fetch her, and she helped me drag all three out on jet sleds. I can do it myself, but two are definitely better than one and she’s only 57, unlike her creaky old man who’ll soon be 72. I prefer to bring them out intact so the carcasses can go through the rigor and aging process. Had a very successful and enjoyable season this year, and am considering letting the deer hunting go and concentrate on small game, turkeys, and predators. I shot two yesterday. We dragged one last night and the other this morning, 3/4 of a mile, and I’m beat, so it might just be my old tired azz that’s thinking about quitting.

I'm about 5 years behind you Pappy 348. You're a lucky man. My wife likes deer when they're either running around doing deer things and being pretty, or nicely wrapped and frozen. She's okay with them in the kitchen being cooked or on the table being served up as well. But watch me shoot one, or have anything to do with the carcass? No, that's just not her thing. I'm okay with all that. She's a city girl through and through and stayed with me through four overseas deployments and two careers. What a woman! But not a hunter, not in the least.

I must admit to seeking out less adventurous hunts recently, that don't involve climbing danged mountains and such. But I'm still up for a hunt that gets me out walking. I know it will end someday. And that's okay, it will be time.

Pheasants with the dog are my real pleasure. I suspect I'll be able to do that for some time to come.

All the best, Guy 

The wife is a sweet Chinese gal I met online after we both unexpectedly became single about 11 years ago. She knew nothing about hunting or guns, and had never fished. I taught her to fish and now she’s a red hot Powerbait dipper. We grow, catch, and kill a major part of our groceries.

She posts pics of our harvests; finny, furry, and agricultural on WeChat to the amazement (and envy) of her family and friends in the PRC. They can’t do any of that of course. They worry about the stories they hear about crime and anti-Asian violence here, but she tells them, “That’s okay, we live in a safe place and have guns!”

I enjoy your videos on UR. Seems you’ve found a new calling late in life😜

What fresh Hell is this?