Originally Posted by 673
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
I met Gabriel Dumont's grandson. He was an 80 year old prospector. He had good sized pozzilan (sp) claim. It's an additive to large pours of concrete.
Gabriel Dumont had a number of siblings, one was Joseph Dumont, our family had a lifelong friend who passed away in 2009, his name was Joseph Gabriel ..........(last name omitted) he was Joseph's grandson.

From pictures available, he looked like Gabriel Dumont, more importantly he acted like Gabriel Dumont and was not to be messed with, he taught me things that shaped my life and kept me out of alot of trouble, in my view, a true "old person".
My Mother who is 89 in a few weeks just reminded me recently how much she missed him as well.

If it were not for the leadership of some of the Cree Chiefs, Starblanket, Big Bear, Piapot, Poundmaker etc... western Canada would of turned into a collossal bloodbath, and frankly still is a simmering pot.

My 4th gen Grandfather was a "hunt captain" and a witness for treaty 4, and his name is on the monument in treaty park Ft Qu'appelle Sask, Sept 15 1874.

Amazing family history and something to be proud of.

My Dad's sde traces back to the Brazo's --- one distant relative was a fur trapper / explorer that he and his wife had 17 children in their immediate family. Different times bred different / strong - self reliant people.

Hugh