Not a big fan of them in most cases either. Had a set of Kenetreks come apart pretty quick. Have been using Peax the past year or 2. Liking them so far in my limited use.

Originally Posted by T_Inman
I am not a big gaiter fan for the most part…I think they’re overrated except for in deep snow. They’re generally too hot for me and are more trouble than they’re worth in anything other than deep snow as far as I am concerned.

They are absolutely NOT all the same, quality wise. Of the synthetics, I suspect the material is generally all OK as far as repelling water but the longevity, how well they hold up being ripped apart by brush, heat from 4 wheeler motors, crampon spikes, stitching quality, their securing system (velcro, zippers, buttons, etc.) have all varied widely. The Kahtoola have been especially poor quality.

What do you plan to use them for? Deep snow? Dry land with thorny brush? Walking through wet brush?

For what it is worth, I am pretty much done with synthetic gaiters. I only have a few brands left at all and they’re mainly wool, after trying many. Sleeping Indian (awesome), Waldkauz (jury is still out) and Swazi (non wool, but are doing OK).