Originally Posted by mark shubert
Wind-blown power line, dragging chain, bad wheel bearing, bad exhaust system on a vehicle (catalytic convertor innards, for example), somebody parked in tall enough grass, fool with a welder, lots of other reasons that I've seen or heard of.
We had seven grass/forest fires near the ranch, last year, the two largest we got stopped at 3200 and 3600 acres.
One was a powerline fire and on two of them we found exhaust system parts. Traced it to a particular pickup (not mine) and I paid to have it repaired - didn't need a repeat! I'm hoping for none this year.

Yep. Dumbasses welding on windy dry days have started several that I know of in this area. Also, a trailer safety chain getting dragged down the highway by some idiot that rented a Uhaul trailer wouldn’t surprise me at all.
Also have seen cars and pickups burned up by a catalytic converter parked in high grass on the side of the road, several times. Power line fires too.

But I still wouldn’t be surprised if some asswhole didn’t deliberately start these.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~