Originally Posted by jetjockey
Talking about 270’s gets me all hot and bothered, and since someone mentioned butchered Pre-64’s, this one came to me in pretty bad shape from a family member. Supposedly wouldn’t shoot, and the stock was destroyed. Threw a new scope on it and it looked to be a shooter, so off to the stock maker it went for some love. Shoots most factory ammo under 1” and some stuff it really likes. This with the original factory barrel. If I were looking for another, it would be either another Pre-64 or an old Griffin and Howe. Then again, I’m nostolgic.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That's a beauty!! And the best part about it, it shoots like a pre 64 model 70.. I didn't see where anyone mentioned "butchered pre 64's" though.

The '56 FWT I am hanging on to shoots very well. The butt plate was removed, and someone put a recoil pad on it. The pad was old, so I upgraded it to a red pachmayr. It's also glass bedded. Since, at that point, it turns that stock into a "shooter", not a collector. This is the rifle that I said I'll hang on to for while. Even though I don't like the 270 winchester as much as I do other cartridges. Just how it is, when you grow up with a 30-06 in your hands.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I've only shot that factory Federal blue box ammo out of it, but it shows promise:

Testing new scope and new to me rifle that day, looked pretty promising. I don't think I've shot the rifle since.

With the std wt going to its new home, I may mess with the fwt a little. I'm thinking it's going to be a damn good shooter with proper handloads. Some younger guys don't know what these pre 64's can do, so we have to keep letting them know. Some of my favorite rifles, that are damn hard to beat..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA