Just about any bullet in a .06 approaching 200 grains will kill elk. Can't figure out why partitions are too expensive and yet the Barnes is thrown in there.

I have several more year than 40 hunting elk and quite a few more elk killed. A 180 gr bullet of Sierra, Hornady, Speer will do the job although my preference is 220gr round nose in thick timber and close shots. IMHO, all these specialty bullets came into being when the magnumitus craze hit the country and hunters finally figure out that cup and core bullets did not hold up well at magnum velocities or hunters fell for the fallacy that all elk were shot at 600 + yards.

Realizing any cartridge's limitations the lowly 30-30 with a 170 gr C&C bullet will kill and elk just as fast as 300WM. I have successfully killed more than few elk using a 50 caliber muzzle loader with a modest charge of black powder.

Pick a bullet of 180 grains or better that your rifle and you shoot well, quit over thinking it, go elk hunting, and put the bullet in the correct place.

Last edited by saddlesore; 03/03/24.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles