Originally Posted by MikeS
Originally Posted by Mooseman684
The bullet went completely through the rib cage without mushrooming and left a pencil hole thru part of the heart and lungs and the bull Caribou started running 1/4 mile and crossed the Richardson hwy and went up a hill before falling over and was still alive. When that happened he pumped adrenaline thru his body and the meat tasted like sweat , even after aging it was horrible. Most 30 Cal 180 gr bullets don't exit an animal that big (300 + pounds) , and it was a good heart Lung shot at 50-60 yards . Never used Partitions again after that.
Rich

I have noticed the exit holes from partitions can be deceiving and there a lot of damage created while the petals fold back prior to the rear portions exit. Since you examined the internal damage though, I'ma glad you were able to recover your caribou.
If a bullet goes completely through an animal it has wasted a lot of energy and is also unsafe for possible unseen hunters downrange, or in the case of Caribou herds , wound another animal on the other side of it . I like a bullet to mushroom and stop before exiting the animal and impart 100% of its energy to make a Humane 1 shot kill. I still have bullets recovered from Big Game that did what they were supposed to do. I have done extensive Bullet testing for accuracy and performance over the past 50 years , and just because a bullet has a fancy name does not mean it will work in real life !
Rich

You know you might be facing your doom if all you get is a click when you are expecting a BOOM !