Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Yes on refer when they come in the house, unless I know I'm eating eggs the next morning. Then I'll just leave out what I need and put the extras in with the others.

The Gulag Girls have started up pretty regular again, not bad for 6 year olds.

I only wash eggs if they've got a really good dose of scheidt on them. Three nest boxes in the coop, all three are laying in the same one. Seems to be a bit messier than when the first one started laying alone after the daylight came back.

For those who say there's not much difference from commercial eggs to homegrown wandering chicken eggs, tell me which one is the store bought "free range" egg and which came from my hen.

Plan view"

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

elevation view of a sort:

You hit on something this thread had me wondering.
Folks talking about not washing eggs like it's horrible.
Personally, I'm not big on having chicken shìt on anything if it's avoidable.

We don't have birds, most of our eggs come from a store.
If we get non-store eggs, they go in the fridge.
If they have shìt on them, we clean them.

Store bought or not?
Grew up mostly on farm eggs, now mostly store bought.
There is a noticeable difference, but it's not what some make it out to be.

Maybe if we had hens,
I'd care more.
And talk incessantly about how superior MY eggs are.

With free range chickens and store bought eggs, big difference IMO. Here's a picture of 2 of our eggs and a store bought brown egg in the pan. So direct comparison, brown eggs to brown egg. Visually the difference is instant. Not just the color, but if you look at the whites, our eggs the whites are heavy and stay together, the white from the yellow egg is run all around the outside of the pan. Watery, bland, and taste like crap comparatively once you're used to different eggs. Again, my opinion but we got lots of comparisons when we were low on hens and had to buy, and it was no contest if you were blindfolded. I wont turn down eggs regardless, but given a choice, free range all the way.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.