My first experience was in 1991 with a 721 300 H&H on a spike elk. I was using the early version 165 grain. The shot was facing me at a slight angle right at 200 yards. The bullet entered just inside the left shoulder and ranged the length of its body, coming to rest in the right hip. Clipped some lung along the way.

The elk went down but got right back up. Because the ranch was split between Oregon and Washington and within a short distance the spike would be headed down hill into Oregon, I opted for the only shot I had. A Texas heart shot. The bullet made it the full length of the elk. I recovered it inside the left shoulder. The elk went down and got back up. Standing spraddle legged and broadside I put one through the chest. I didn’t recover that one but it put him down for the count.

Both bullets I recovered had shed all four of their petals. I recovered two of the petals during the cut and wrap. I couldn’t complain about the performance.

The following year I took a mule deer with the same bullet. Similar bow to stern shot. He dropped at the shot. No bullet recovery but ample damage along the bullet path.

I didn’t see any real advantage over the partitions I was using and went back to them. I did use a 300 grain TSX in my 400 Whelen to take one caribou. Good expansion and lots of blood. Good size exit.

My wife’s BSA 308 has always like the 150 grain TSX and she used one to take a cow moose. 30 yards quartered away. 30” of penetration and an exit. Death was within seconds.

I have 80 grain TTSXs loaded in both my 6mmx222and my 25x222 in the hopes of trying one on a deer.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.