The “X” bullet was cutting edge technology when I went to Alaska on a caribou hunt in 1990. I have always shot handloads, so I got some “X” bullets from a friend for my 30-06. Loaded with IMR 4350, and plenty accurate, it took old “meat in the pot” to Alaska.

After seeing a small number of bulls on the tundra, I put a sneak on them and shot at a decent bull. It took off running and crested a hill that was almost out of range, stopped and looked back in my direction. Holding high over the back, I took another shot and he dropped right there.

When I got to him I could see my “X” bullet had broken his back. We had to bone the caribou out to get him back to camp, and that is when I found the first shot had penciled through his neck, barely leaving a hole. I then decided to stick with Hornady 165 grain spire points, as they had never let me down and after that, never did.

What Barnes “X” bullets are now is inconsequential, I find it unnecessary to shoot anything in the 30-06 but 165 grain Hornady spire points and 150 grain Remington core-lokt bullets in my Garand or 1903-A3

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]