There have been dozens, yes plural, of discussions on this subject since many of participated at "Shooters".

PFL sizing has been used to describe sizing brass to less than the full capacity of the FL die since I have been here. We have even discussed the fairly common phenomenon where head space to shoulder is actually increased when the body of the case is compressed without touching the shoulder as a possibility when PFL sizing.

I have Redding neck sizers for several cartridges. I have never needed a body die to go with them. But the only one I ever loaded brass more then four or five times was a 30-06 AI, and it did not show a propensity to grow.

Yes, I tune my FL dies to the chamber of the rifle I am sizing for.

I find that point where the bolt will not close on the partially sized case, as I have made the case longer in the die. Then I adjust the die down in the press until the bolt will close on the empty brass again. Sometimes with a very slight crush fit, depending on application. Usually adjusted so the brass will fall into the chamber.

I have all the tools needed to measure headspace length, growth, or compression for any of the cartridges I load. But they have set unused on the shelf for years. As I do not really care what the length from shoulder to base of the brass, as long as I know it fits my chamber, because I have made it to fit.

And yes, it requires case lube. Sometimes it is Hornady one shot, sometimes it is Redding/Imperial wax. i keep microfiber wash cloths from harbor freight on the loading bench, and 91% isopropyl alcohol. Splash a little alcohol on a cloth, and wipe the sizing lube away. A pint of alcohol lasts a long time. When the cloth looks grubby, toss it into the laundry.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.