Originally Posted by bwinters
I'd opine that you need to decide how you want this once in a lifetime hunt to happen, then what the goal is. These 2 decisions will lead you to the answer - assuming money isn't much of an issue.

The "how" boils down to: you want a ranch hunt (not the fenced varity)? Pack in with horse hunt? Pack into a Wilderness Area hunt? You simply want an elk and a fenced operation will do?

As had been mentioned, if you simply want the experience of waking up elk country with a good chance of killing any elk, that can be had way easier and cheaper. I'd advise for the 2 of you to go on several elk hunts before the once in a lifetime hunt. Simply do a ranch cow hunt (again not the fenced variety) in a western state.

Once you have the hang of elk hunting, hunting in the mountains, and have a bit of experience, go on your once in a lifetime hunt. A DIY drop camp is very affordable. This option will: A. Put you in elk country, B. Let you get the feel of elk country, C. Give you the whole experience.

I'd be leery of spending a pile of cash on a once on a lifetime elk hunt if you've never done it before. I say this because the biggest single factor in enjoying your experience will be how good shape you are in. Elk mountains are big, steep, and high. And you'll likely need to cover alot of ground. You'll feel like a bag of smashed buttholes if you're not in shape. Spending your time in camp because you are sore/worn out/tired wont lead to a good experience. And I've yet to take someone on their first elk hunt who thought they were too fit/in shape. Alot of us chiming in train all year long.

As to the goal, ANY elk in a wild setting is a worthy accomplishment, esp if you DIY. If you have "a number" in mind for rack score, you're setting yourself up for disappointment, unless you have a pile of money. Places exist where you can stay in a ranch/cabin, horse back/4 wheeler in and look over numerous 300+ inch bulls. If that's the goal, cool, it just takes more greenbacks. I'd opine a 300 inch public land bull is possible with good guides and places. People have visions of 350 inch bulls because "they paid alot of money". It don't work that way.......
A lot of wisdom and experience in this post. The only thing I will add is I would pick the “setting” in which you want to hunt first. Do you want the full mountain experience of the Rockies? Or does it matter to you? For me, it’s as much about the experience and the surroundings as it is in the actual elk.

Buy once, cry once.