Originally Posted by pete53
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Consider that a 250 grain bullet that loses 40% of it's weight weighs 150, a 180 Barnes that retains all of it is an easy choice, at those ranges, for that game.

^^ this is my thought too but with Hammer bullets cause i have them ^^
One counterpoint to that, fellas, is that a 250 grain bullet that "loses" 40% of its weight just blasted 100 grains of lead fragments through the vitals while (in the proven case of the 250 Partition that folks have been advocating) continuing with very reliable penetration and a probable exit.
I killed my first elk with the 250 Partition, which worked great, but have also put 3 x 200 TTSX and 2 x 225 TSX through elk with fine results since. Only Barnes X I ever recovered, of any caliber, was a 225 TSX that went through both shoulders at the thickest point on a big 342" bull. DRT, and bullet under the hide on the off side. It weighed exactly 225 grains after being cleaned up, for 100% retention (all these were the .358 bullets, per this conversation, but the 200 TTSX were from the .358 Win at 2700 FPS muzzle velocity - Others were in the Whelen).
So while I'm a Barnes fan too, I'm not blind to the virtues of the big 250 Partition. I'd also bet it retains more than 60% weight based on where the partitions are located on the big Noslers.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Cheers,
Rex

Last edited by TRexF16; 03/23/24.