Originally Posted by shaman
I just acquired a Rossi M92, 24 inch stainless in 44 Mag. I'm thinking of using it for whitetail this fall. I was wondering what y'alls' experience is with cast lead bullets.

I've got a Lee C429-240-SWC mold, aluminum gas checks and a bunch of lead in various hardnesses.

I like lead. 240-250 will work though I prefer more. That's not a bullet I'd choose though. 1) Meplat is too small. 2) The transition from 'shoulder' to meplat is rounded making what meplat there is less effective. In other words, it's truly a sh*t bullet design ... ease of casting taking priority over effectiveness in shooting. Fortunately, .44 is so much more than the minimum needed to kill a deer that it'll probably work out ok anyway.

I don't happen to have a .44 carbine right now and my bullets are selected for revolvers. The RCBS 250 grain SWCs (they've had 3 varieties over the years) and the Lyman 429421 are much better than the Lee bullet you mention because the meplat has a sharp corner at the edge which is much more effective .. and it is larger. My favorites, though, are the LBT 300 grain WLN bullets.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...