I just bought a (Ruger) Marlin 1894 a couple weeks ago. I'd said that if they ever went to 1/20 twist, I'd buy one. They did and I did. Tried some 300 grain WFNs I had loaded for my 77/44. They grouped good at 50, but don't choot worth a chit at 100 yards.

I was kinda disappointed, but WFNs will do that. Or, I have another problem, but regardless, some time will be spent this weekend finding out. I found out that this rifle can handle an OAL 0f 1.710", so I'm going to try some Beartooth Bullets 300 grain Dual crimp groove LFN GCs at that length. These bullets are no longer in production and I'll have to figure something out if they shoot good. I'll reshoot at 25 yards to rezero and then move further out

Another one I'm going to try is Sierra's 300 grain Sports Masters, a jacketed flat-nose that has a very hard core, so expansion is minimal at the speeds I'll push it (1500 to 1550 fps). It also is for long cylinders and if crimped in the cannelure OAL is 1.725", but have no fear, there is a Lee FCD here, and 1.710" it is.

Another option I have already loaded up (I've had a 44 mag rifle and several pistols previously) is the standard 240 grain/H110 loads.

All that is assuming I don't have another issue with the gun besides bullets being WFNs, which can be inaccurate at long(er) range.

We'll find out. I would prefer a LFN GC to a jacketed bullet, and would like that to be a 300 grain one.

Last edited by Vic_in_Va; 03/27/24. Reason: finish sentence