Originally Posted by richyonks

Thanks for posting the link with the better pics. I could zoom in a little better. It looks like an $850-$900.00 rifle to me. Again, it's a pre war rifle made in 1942. The bluing looks to be original, as does the stock finish. The safety lever is a Buehler style, which was a very common "upgrade", on these pre war rifles, where they intended to use a scope. The rear bridge was not drilled and tapped as someone suggested with only one hole. It appears they used the common and more modern .860" hole spacing for the rear scope mount. Thus, making it impossible to use a one piece mount, like someone had suggested. The hole locations are unlike any other model 70 era. Which also includes the post war H&H rear scope mounts. I'd be willing to bet that is the case anyway, just by looking at the pics. My only concern is how everything lines up, and if it's in perfect alignment with the bore axis. I'd throw a set of dual dovetail mounts and rings on there, and check ring alignment. If you are stuck with the rear windage type mount only, that is a huge downfall. I know, there are guys that have used them for years, but I don't like them. They are weak by design. It also doesn't have the original rear sight. The original rear sight would add another $120.00 to the value of the rifle. They likely did this because it was set up to run a modern scope. I already mentioned the wood removed for an aperture sight, but what they removed is very odd looking. That is my best assessment of the rifle. It should make a fine hunter, if the bore is in good shape.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA