Originally Posted by mjbgalt
So if a guy has a fast twist 223, and can shoot, where does he need to go next to level up to the next benchmark for killing power?

257? 264?

If a guy has a 6.5 creedmoor, is a 308 enough of a separation to be worth having, etc?

Yes I know we should all have all of them. I am just interested in what some of you guys think who have been shooting and hunting and experiencing things outdoors for decades longer than I have.

To answer your question: I would not advise someone with a 6.5 Creedmoor to get a .308 Winchester for any hunting-related reason. If you have a 6.5 Creedmoor, the only reason to have a .308 is that in a "worst-case scenario", there will probably be a [bleep] of ammo around for it.

In my experience, there is no appreciable difference on North American non-dangerous game between a .257 Roberts, .25-06, .270, 7x57, .30-06, or 8x57. I have used them all at one point or another in my life (been hunting for 40 years now). They all get the job done at usual hunting ranges and conditions. And I would expect much the same of any other cartridge within that range. If I had to limit myself to one rifle out of that list, I would pick the .25-06 for sentimental reasons. But it would be almost entirely sentimental. There's something about my .25-06 with 75 or 120-grain bullets that just makes me happy. It hates every weight in between them, but it puts those two weights into tight little clusters that give me immense confidence every time I use the rifle. But if I was stuck with any one of those rifles, I would feel perfectly comfortable.

I think of hunting rifles as existing in three tiers:

1. .223-.243
2. .257-.323
3. .338-.458

An average hunter could comfortably hunt anything in North America with any Tier 2 rifle. There are some who can comfortably hunt anything in North America with rifles in Tier 1. And there are some who won't hunt anything at all unless they are using a Tier 3 rifle.

Within each tier, in my mind there are specific bullet weights that are ideal for that caliber (e.g. 120-grain .257 bullets or 198-grain .323 bullets). That's why I would pick that caliber versus another. Of course, that's almost entirely subjective.

If I had to stick with three rifles, I'd pick one in each tier. My .22-250 (or a .223). My .25-06 (or a .308). And my 9.3x62 (or a .375 H&H) if I wanted the option to go after heavier/more dangerous game.