Originally Posted by Melvin
"1.4 Legal Opinions on Mailing Firearms
Postmasters are not authorized to give opinions on the legality of any shipment of rifles or shotguns. Contact the nearest office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms for further advice. "

You left off the rest of that regulation about the ATF
Of course they aren't allowed to give opinions on ATF regulations! But they are certainly able to give postal regulations. The above regulation posted is talking about whether it is legal under ATF regulations, which of course they can't comment on.
I'm definitely NOT taking up for the P.O. I have an inquiry in now for an official ruling, which I will definetly print and keep with me.
Melvin
No, I didn't "leave off" anything. The point you're missing is you're getting fed a line of crap from some self-important idiot. I've given a link to the USPS' official policy as well as the quote regarding it. You and the USPS employee can look up the regulations TOGETHER in the domestic mail manual. You're welcome to look up the BATFE's regulations regarding the shipment of firearms and they'll tell you the same thing. Why are you making this so hard on yourself? confused

Any BATFE office is going to quote you this:

"(B7) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]"

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b7

Read. Comprehend. Then act. In that order.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.