Sitka: Could you enlighten me a bit as to the issues with aluminum and stocks? I'm in the infancy stages of stockbuilding and know just enough now that I would never ever pursue it professionally. There's always a chance though that I'll have to salvage some screw up of mine in the future.

I see aluminum mentioned for bedding blocks from time to time and indeed I think that's what Weatherby has beneath my 30-378 Accumark. Yes, I'm ashamed it does carry a plastic stock. Aluminum's appeal is that one does not need industrial grade machinery and tools for relatively crude workups. Are there other metals that might be more amendable to such repairs? Thanks in advance, 1Minute

Edited in: How about a cross bolt with with polished nuts or washers fitted in flush with the stocks exterior surface??? That would be a bit more work, but would offer a bit of squeeze in that area. From the photos there was obviously some stress to part the wood there. The question might be whether the wood itself was the source or a fitting issue. Given the void with no metal present, the wood just might be the problem.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/20/08.

1Minute