I've been happy with Leica Ultravid 10x42's for years, but I'm straying a bit from my faithful companions with a pair of 7x42 Zeiss FL's that I couldn't pass when Natchez put them on silly cheap.

I thought the 7x42's would smoke the Leicas in low light, but they don't. They're brighter, but the dimmer view with greater magnification of the Leicas make it a horserace. Depends on distance and what kind of detail to determine what I like better.

I thought the Leica 10x42's would kill the Zeiss 7x42's in magnfication of detail at greater distance in good light. Not really the case - not nearly as much difference as I expected - I can see just about as much detail with the 7's.

Why? Image stability. I knew the 7's would shine, but I'm steady with the 10's and used to them, so I didn't expect much difference in actual use for me. Wrong again. The steady image of the 7's helps with detail at greater distance because stuff shakes less. This is a factor even when supported with both units - although I'm sure on a tripod the 10's would be better; however, I don't use my hunting binos on a tripod, ever.

I've learned a lot with these honest comparisons. There's a fair likelihood I'll let the Leicas go and get more magnification in Big Eyes or a spotter to complement the FL's. I think I'd need a significant step up in magnification from the 7's to see worthwhile improvement. The 10's aren't different enough to carry with the 7's IMO.

BTW - I believe the 7x42 FL's have that "it" factor described in the Campfire Review of the 8x42 FL's. The color, sharpness, brightness - truly spectacular.

DJ