I used a much wider strap for many years. Didn't do much for me. Some like the bino harnesses. I don't. What works for me is carrying the heavy bino over my left hip, crossbody. Takes more movement and effort to get them to my eyes, but they ride very well there. If I had to choose, I'll take a heavier 8X42 with cross body carry than an 18-20 oz. 8X of any kind around my neck. Simply because they are much easier to see things with over a long day of binocular use.
Where I don't like the weight is when I'm moving very slowly through heavy cover. I'm always bending and twisting slowly around, or over things I need to step carefully on, or around. At the same time, I am always bringing my binocular up and trying to look throught the cover around me. For that, and to keep it under control, afterall you don't want it swinging away from you at a difficult momment, I much prefer it as close to my eyes as possible. This is where a light 6X30 binocular like the $80 Leupold Yosemite really shines. I don't care how good the optics are on an 18-20 oz. 8X32. The image shakes a good bit. That increases eye strain and robs me of the ability to see those fine details easily. All of this is greatly reduced with the light 6X30's.
When I break into the open country again, I simply swap the 6X30 for the heavier 8X32 or the still heavier 8X42. E