for those guys that think 100-120 yards with a revolver is pushing things a bit....
while ID agree that each hunter needs to know his limits, and not shoot past the range he can keep shots in a deers chest, a decent shot with a good revolver should be able to keep a 6-7" group out at 100-120 yards with practice useing a decent iron sighted revolver. (yes , I fully aggree,your going to find far more guys that can hit consistantly at 50-75 yards than at 100-120 yards but thats not usually an equipment problem, its usually a lack of skill on the opperators part, most decent revolvers with good ammo will keep a 6" or smaller 100 yard group from a rest)from a sitting possition or standing with a decent rest against his hand on a tree or similar support, based on what I see at the range with guys using 7.5"-10" barrel revolvers. now IM sure not suggesting everyone can, but most of my friends can and so can I under most conditions with my revolvers, but then we do practice frequently.
if your friends are just starting into the sport naturally, they need to test thier skills, a stack of the small paper plates makes a good test, as long as you can keep your first three shots on the paper your well in range, miss and your past your effective range

hers a ballistic calc for range and drop .

http://www.biggameinfo.com/BalCalc.aspx

sight a 41 mag,44 mag, 445 dwsm, 454 casull, 460, or 500 S&W or 480 ruger, or similar caliber in at 3" high at 50 yards with a decent hunting ;load and your within 3" out to 120 yards (yes, the longer sight radias of a 7.5"-10" barrel and lots of range time, shooting from field possitions DOES HELP)and its a rare guy thats consistant past that 100-120 yards so thats why I suggested that as a reasonable limit and having to think of a revolvers as something similar to archery, as a hunting tool, is a good idea.. Id suggest S&W, DAN WESSON and RUGER all make decent revolvers with 7.5"-10" barrels in hunting calibers that can be used in most cases