Im not much for big knives on deer, a 3 to 3.5 inch blade is just right for me. I also prefer a drop point for general gutting and feild use. If Im goig to skin a deer that has been hangning a while thus the hide wont pull off real easy I will switch to a more up-swept skinning style knife. Not that a drop point wont work fine but I feel I get more of the blade in play with a skinner.

Bottom line its what feels good you're hand. Sheath style and handle type are also important things, to me anyway, when it comes to knives. Rubber handles, abit great with blody hands just dont do it for me, I prefer stag. Stag gives me the grip I need when the knife is bloody and looks great.

As for steel, look less at the 0-1, D-2 or 52-100 unless you take real good care of stuff as they will rust if not given the best of care. ATS34 and some of the other stainless steels will serve just as well and not require the oiling. But the stainless is a softer steel so will need resharpening more ofted, but they will take an edge faster.

In the end its Ford vs Chevy, you just need to look at lots of them, and if your like me you will like them all and need a bunch of em. smile

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750