Mid 60's Dad got a buy on a case of 150 grain Federal 308 ammo for hunting with his Winchester 88. He doesn't shoot a lot like a most of us here but that case of ammo and gun has put a lot of deer and elk meat in the freezer. Now he is using the same empty cases with reloads I have made for him.

Twenty or so years ago I bought one thousand 150 grain 30 caliber Core-lokts to load for myself and family in '06 and 308. They have worked so well on deer and elk I Since have bought more, for the .30's and use them in 270, 243, and more. We cut, grind, and wrap all our own meat so I have a good opportunity to see the results of these bullets. They do better than some of the so called "premium' stuff out there, but of course I have no knowledge of most as I have never seemed to need them.

Premium bullets and magnum calibers are not necessary to take American big game animals, They are not a bad thing, just the ideals of them is blow all out of proportion to the reality of the situation. Straight shooting, knowing when to and when not to shoot is the key.

I have shot elk through the lungs with a 320 grain solid lead black powder bullet that died without going very far. It's far more where you shoot a critter than what with.

I bet there are at least two dozen factory loadings in about every caliber that are just fine on the shelf for todays hunter, all the rest is up to the guy behind the gun.

OBTW my uncle killed a real nice bull with one shot from a 7mm-08 with a factory bullet several years back.

Good luck on your elk hunt.