In our post about the water buffalo hunt, Charlie Sisk and I forgot to mention that I finally designed a real wildcat cartridge (as opposed to the fictitious B-29 which appeared several years ago in HANDLOADER). Charlie has been after me for several years to invent one, since every gun writer has to.

The round is the 9.3mm Barsness-Sisk, which we have decided should be shortened to the 9.3 BS. It's the .350 Remington Magnum necked up, all the way to .366". This may sound useless, but that never prevented most recent wildcats from seeing the light of day.

The 9.3 BS actually has several advantages, at least as real and significant as the wildcats alluded to above:

1) It will duplicate the ballistics of the 9.3x62mm Mauser in a short action. The 9.3x62 has survived for about 100 years, so is obviously a round with merits.

2) Unlike some other short magnums, it will feed in an average short action.

3) It beats the .350 itself by using heavier bullets. Most .35's have 1-16 twists, which won't stabilize bullets over 250 grains. The 9.3 BS can (and will) use bullets up to 300 grains.

So you see that it very definitely fulfills a crying need. We have arranged for reamers already, and expect to have a working rifle within a few weeks.

JB