45,000 psi out of a little stubby barrel? Whoooeeee! The 7 1/2" barreled Ruger .30 Carbine Blackhawk has a reputation for having about the nastiest and ear piercingest muzzle blast around. I'm not sure I'd want to try 5K psi more in 5" less barrel.

If a fellow wants something larger than a .22 but doesn't want to go up to a whole hog .44 or .45, a good old S&W J-frame .38 Special has been a very effective trail gun for years and years. 148 gr wadcutters at moderate velocity, and very moderate muzzle blast, kill small game like rabbits really well. Even 158 gr. SWC +P loads aren't all that unpleasant to shoot.

Smith made that 3" M60 with full lug barrel and adjustable sights in .38 Special for a while, that's what I would call a great little trail gun. Now it only comes in .357 which is fine for concealed carry self defense but too much for my tastes in a fun gun.

Bought a girlfriend that .38 M60 for a birthday present about 20 years ago. Don't miss her but sure do wish I had kept that revolver for myself. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!