Originally Posted by kevinh1157
DaleK - As I am sure everyone on this board knows, any of the calibers mentioned will kill a bear with a good bullet (TSX, Accubond, TBBC, Partition) placed in the right place. None will make a significant difference if the bullet doesn't go where it is supposed to. Also, your concern is surprising a bear at close quarters; none of the calibers mentioned will stop a charge from a huge bear. My advice; use a .458 Lott.

Most of my bear hunting experience is with drives in thick stuff or prowling the ridgetops trying to look into the thick stuff. Under those conditions, hitting the 'right place' doesn't always happen.

My concern is whether the 250 has enough 'oomph' to drive completely thru a large bear at a bad angle and make 2 holes big enough to leave a good blood trail. I have no doubt that it would work on a broadside shot and a 200 lb bear. What about a trying to break the shoulder on a quartering 500 lb bear?

Baiting is not allowed in Pa. but calling is. If I've convinced a bear that I'm his dinner, I want enough gun to change his mind in a hurry. Is the 250 enough to do that?

Based on the experiences posted, it seems to me the general trend is: it works but is not ideal. Bigger is better in this case.

Dale

This space for rent