Shrike...

I don't recommend shooting at running game either... especially game like bears that, if wounded, can be a danger to other hunters or innocent hikers.

However, I was looking at the need for FAST follow-up shots due to the bear charging the hunter at very short range and closing that range rapidly.

Therefore, the necessity of making a "well-aimed shot" wasn't as important as putting several shots into the charging bear as fast as possible. But even if the situation called for shooting a standing bear a 2nd or 3rd time, the lever rifle with a smooth action like the Model 99 Savage would have the advantage.

I'm well-practiced in shooting both lever and bolt rifles. I hunted for over 40 years with a pre-'64 Model 70 bolt-action rifle in .338 Winchester Magnum and so, I'm completely familiar with the speed at which a bolt-action rifle can be manipulated.

However, after hunting running jackrabbits with a Marlin Model 39 "Mountie" (a .22 rimfire lever-action rifle) and shooting literally thousands of rounds through the lever-action Model 39 plus hundreds of rounds through the Savage Model 99 lever-action rifle, I have to respectfully disagree with you as to which type of action is fastest for follow-up shots.

Frankly, I surprised you'd even attempt to debate it or say that the bolt-action is actually faster on follow up shots than a lever-action Model 99 which has a very smooth action and a firm, but decent trigger.

In fact, I recently had my gunsmith take my Model 99's trigger down to 3 lbs. As a result, the trigger on my Model 99 is quite nice. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...