I just got my wife a 20ga. mag 870 express youth model I gave it to her on Christmas but it was not really a Christmas gift. I intend to take her trap shooting/sporting clays (casual) and teach her to shoot. I might even pony up for some instruction. Hers is the 21" barrel model express. I got it used. Once I know she likes it then I will get her an auto.or O/U whatever she wants. I was shocked she was actually excited about it.
Well while shopping I found and traded for a really sweet 20 ga. wingmaster never been fired with 28" barrel it's got great wood and is a really nice piece. I can use the shorter barrel and she can use the longer barrel if needed. This is all part of a grand scheme to get her to go pheasant hunting.(she really likes my pheasant stew) Wish me luck.
the 20 ga. seemed the best alternative for me with the cost of shells,avalability of youth sized guns,light loads/reduced recoil,etc,
the 20.ga. for me was a bonus and may end up being hers in the end. I like the 20 ga.
Does anyone have an idea for reducing recoil even more on the youth gun? I do not want to turn her off due to recoil. She is petite sized and the youth gun fits her pretty well and I don't want to add too much weight to the gun yet. First step will be a limbsaver pad.will porting that short of barrel make much difference? If has a better idea I would like to hear from you.

Goodnight Chesty Puller... Wherever you are.