Just a short note here. NOW there are other gauge target/hunting ammo in the same fps but the 28 gauge has classically been the first to standardize 1300 fps.

I see SOME of winchester AAs now come in 1200 and 1300 even in 12 gauge but the 28 was the original.

I've shot wild pheasants, ducks (jump shooting of a creek), and of course rabbit, quail and dove with my 28 gauge Remington.

If youre not taking them down (in range!!) its not the gauge but perhaps the choke / shot size combo? A bit harder? Sure......challange makes it ALL more fun. I hunt quail with a 410 mod OR skeet over a dog. 1/2 oz of 8 or 8.5 in the skeet, 7.5 or 8 in the mod choke. Ill take down MORE birds on a rise with the 410 or 28, just because the gun is lighter, faster and I can shoot them well........if I hold my mouth right. LOL

IMO a FULL choke 28 is TOO MUCH for upland game.

**** Id be happy as a pig in a slop bucket to swap my 870 Vent rib 870 28ga FULL barrel for the same in SKEET.****

My FIRST 50 straight on skeet was with a 870 28 gauge years ago. At the time it was the ONLY 1300 fps shotshell on the market.

It's all about having fun and the 28 is that! Besides, they are fast enough if you dont drop em first shot, shuck another shell in and hit em again! *grin*.

Someone find me a SKEET 870 28 GAUGE BARREL!!

God Bless you all and the 28 gauge!!

hehowhunts

PS There is NOTHING wrong with a 20 gauge, as long as its in a early 70s , chrome lifter, mahogany stocked, 5 3/4 lb Wingmaster!! ( or slightly later version without the chromed lifter, same weight)

Last edited by Steve692; 03/11/09.

"I realize that it is natural for the people who disagree with me to think I am wrong, and I am not so arrogant as to deny that possibility."