For the most part, I think Abolts are fine when they are cared for, but if neglected, even a little bit, they'll mess you up when you least expect it. Seems like most of the complaints come from guys in Alaska. My only actual experience with the Abolt is in working on a Stainless .338 Win Mag that my buddy from Alaska used for 5-7 years while guiding. It failed to fire while he was hunting deer for himself and when he went to see if he still had the safety on or what the problem was, it fired by itself after he had removed his finger from the trigger. He typically loans out his rifle to clients, so knew he couldn't have that. I gave him my M70 stainless to use while I fixed his Abolt. He guides and outfits for Brown Bear so spends a lot of time near salt water. The corrosion within the trigger, not to mention all the sand, dirt, etc. had caused the trigger to fail. I replaced it with a Moyers adjustable trigger. The area of the receiver where the trigger group attaches was cracked, but was easily welded and repaired. The chamber was scratched from sand, dirt, etc., but that was polished out. The fancy scissoring magazine lifter was corroded and busted and the spring that holds the magazine to the floor plate was also corroded/busted. When I finished, it shot well and he now has that to back up his M70. Keep in mind that this is a guy that treats his rifle harshly, as a tool. He likes the M70 since it can handle being submerged in a river and swished clean of all the sand he has accumulated over a hunt! This is the type of guy who will run into trouble with an Abolt. Most average hunters would have few problems, I would think.
Test