A way to simplify this just occurred to me.

� Wind the strap around one dowel and run the other end through the slit.

� Take the dowel out of the loop.

� Pull the ends of the strap to straighten the loop out of it. (This will leave the leather on each side of the slit twisted.)

� Wind the other end of the strap twice around the other dowel and run the first end through the slit.

� Work the body of the strap through the slit in the first end to remove the twist on each side of the slit and form the second loop.

� Twist the body of the strap in the second loop to form the double loop.

� Slide the second double loop over the end of the second dowel.

Also --

On the bottom end of each dowel (a couple of inches of which had to be reduced in diameter to accept 'em), I fitted a pair of brass ferrules made by trimming the necks, shoulders, and upper bodies off a couple of .50 Browning cases. Each ferrule covers a couple of inches of its stick's lower end.

I drilled and tapped the webs of these ferrules and threaded-in a couple of small bolts, each with a washer and a lock-nut, leaving most of the length of each bolt exposed. With the bolt heads ground off and the ends sharpened, these bolts (easily removed or replaced) become spikes for hard ground.

The loops loosen a little with use and time. Just before each use, I grasp each stick in each hand, with the strap between the index finger and the second finger, and pull the loops tight on the sticks..

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.