Jeff,

When I look at the photo of the deer it doesn't amaze me that he ran 200 yds. The shot is (1.) too high for a good lung shot (2.) too far back for a shoulder shot..and (3.) too low for the spine. I think you were lucky to hit him with a 358 to have a hole as large as it is. My guess is that if that shot was with a small cal "hard" bullet he would still be running! I believe that most of the tales of "I can't believe he ran so far" are, in fact, bad hits with the wrong bullet. Lung tissue, as you know, is not very dense..sponge like and filled with air. It is very vascular, and it is somewhat like a tree with the larger vessels at the base of the heart and then branching out to much smaller vessels in the perifery..so, the higher the shot the less damage is done. One thing that helps the hunter is that bullets that enter the pleural cavity most often cause pneumothorax (collapse of the lungs) from the loss of normal negative pressure that keep the lungs expanded..so that's a + for larger caliber holes in the chest. Just my views on "lungers"..

Art